My cat needs a bathe but has never had one and is not going for it, any suggestions?

I'm trying to get rid of fleas and want/need to clean my cat but she will not go for a bath, where ever she lays there is little black specks which I heard is flea poop and stuff. How do I get rid of this and get her cleaned? She is old and has never had a bath before, and I know she will scratch the heck out of me if I try.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Pets

• Cats don't really need baths --- they clean themselves. If your cat is not cleaning herself, it's a sign of poor health & you may want to get her to a vet.

A vet can give her a flew dip/bath if you want... but if you get rid of the fleas, it'll probably take care of the "flea poop" (no brainer, right? lol).... so get her some feline advantage.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• we always bathed our cats. we usually double teamed them and just get it done. we did it in the kitchen sink, that way you don't have to do battle bent over a tub.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i'm a groomer and to get rid of the fleas your going to need to give her a flea bath and bomb your house otherwise she'll just pick them back up again. you also want to be careful what shampoo you buy she can have a reaction to some of the cheaper kinds you get at the pet store.
    tanababy

Answer by tanababy at 11:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Just take her to the bathroom and close the door and wet your hands and slowly wet her by petting her gently try to take off the loose hair on her. But if she is an outside cat all this is a waste, if you plan on keeping her indoors I would suggest getting a can of Raid (the purple can) that works wonders for the house and put her on some kind of flea control collar (or medicine) Like Adavantix or Frontline. While petting her (w/gloves) try to pull out all that gook from her coat and be calm she can sense when you are nervous. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• Yes, some cats DO need baths. More than you would think, actually. Our cats are pretty meticulous groomers, but they still need baths every few months or so. They start to smell not-so-fresh, and their coats get a little oily.

As for the flea problem...you might ask your vet what is the best product to use. Some of those things you find in the store are a waste of money. And some of them aren't as safe as they ought to be. We've never had to deal with it, so I don't know what works and what doesn't.

Also, if you are sure she has fleas, they are now in your house, too. You'll need to treat your house/carpet for the fleas, too, or else they will continue to be a problem for your cat.

If you can afford it, it might be easiest to take her to a groomer. They usually do very good jobs, and they are more experienced at handling cranky cats.
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 11:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• What you need to do is this -- 2 people are needed. One will need to hold the front legs together with one hand, and the back legs together with the other hand. The cat will be run under a water faucet from the neck to the tail. The fur needs to be ruffled up to let the water to the skin. Once the cat is wet you add the flea shampoo. Rub the shampoo in to a lather, wait a few minutes, then rinse. Make sure all the shampoo is out otherwise your cat will end up with flaky, itchy skin. Once the cat is rinsed, grab a towel, wrap the cat (starting at the back end - have the person hold the front legs still) all the way to the front. Only show the head. This way the cat can't run away before it's dry. Can be done by one person but is a bit harder. :)
    Looking2Adopt1

Answer by Looking2Adopt1 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• well i have noticed in petsmart or a pet store you can buy wipes like baby wipes but there forbathing cats that don't like water, that might work. the easiest way i have found to bathe a cat is to start from a kitten, but that might not always be the case. cause I have three cats and i have always bathed two cause theres one that just won't take the bath thing!( lol!) Try the wipes and see if that helps. and if you decide not to do that and decide to try the bath one more time try warm water, and an oatmeal soap.
    christina200107

Answer by christina200107 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2008