Help I'm in tears

My son is in kindgarten and his teacher told me today that he is having a hard time focusing and gets down on himself when he does something wrong. I have parented the same way with both of my children and I have a daughter that is in 1st grade that is my social butterfly and had almost too much self esteem. I need help. What can I do to help my bubs? I have been in tears over it thinking that I haven't done something I should have with him.

MommyInk2

Asked by MommyInk2 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• is this first formal school experience?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Maybe he just is shy and needs to get used to school. Sorry I'm not much help but I'm sure he will be just fine :)
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 10:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Dont worry im sure there was nothing different you could have done it may just be his personality. just work with the teacher to make things easier and comfortable for him....and do the same things at hime that she does at school. Also if he just turned his age.....it may be an immaturity thing. Over a milliom children in the counrty are misdiagnosed with ADHD because they are younger then the rest of there class....it's immaturity.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:25 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• No matter how you raise your children, each will always have their own personality. Its nothing your doing wrong or right. Maybe you can try praising him more at home when he faces a challange and gets it right, upping his self confidence. And do know sometimes teachers can be wrong. It might be he is afraid of her and or thinks she expects more of him then he can give to her. Good luck
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 10:25 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• when he does something wrong at home does he do the same thing? If not, I would ask the teacher how she is handling things when he is wrong.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Keep in touch with the teacher and ask how he is doing. It could just be first time chitters. Make sure he gets plenty of praise and loving at home. She also should be able to advise you if he needs any special evaluations etc. as the year goes on.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:28 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• teach him that failure is normal and it doesn't change the way you love him... the thing to do when you make a mistake is try again... almost no one gets things perfect the first time they try, etc...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• This is his 2nd year in school and his pre-k teacher never brought up anything about focus or self-esteem. He gets lots of love at home but I'll try stepping up the rewards for focusing. I know every child is different I just didn't know they could be this different.
    MommyInk2

Comment by MommyInk2 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My two were completely different. Oldest was queit, followed directions easily, & never was a problem. Youngest was more easily distracted, much more active, and had to have a little more attention by the teacher to keep him on track. Work closely with the teacher to make it a good year. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Stop beating yourself up. If you beat yourself up every time one of your kids goes through a rough time, you will be black and blue for the rest of your life. You may be surprised, but the teacher may be the culprit on this one. There are some teachers that don't know how to cope with some of the more active students. She may be coming down on him for his actions, something he may not be used to, and he may take it harder than other kids. If you are able, try and sit in on one of his classes for a an hour or two. See for yourself exactly what is going on. Once you know for yourself, talk to the teacher and come up with a learning plan that is just for your son. He made need more attention or more time on projects. You will only know for sure if you see it for yourself. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010