How can I handle temper tantrums

My son just turned one and he is constantly pushing the limits to see how far he can get. He throws himself and screams when he doesn't get his way. Help!!!!

DomsHotMom

Asked by DomsHotMom at 10:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore them---when you at home--walk away. If your at a store--leave the store---it might be a hassle but it works!
    kgcmomma

Answer by kgcmomma at 10:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Pick a time out spot. For now, it will be his calm down spot too.
    When he pitches a fit, pick him up and take him to his spot. Stay nearby so you can make sure he stays there but otherwise ignore him. Pretend to write a shopping list, read a book, anything. Just don't talk to him or try to get him to calm down.
    Once he is completely calm, you can give him a time out as a punishment if you think it is needed - one minute per year of age.
    Then, take him in your lap and say something like this:
    I'm so glad you calmed down. I know you were angry when I wouldn't let you eat cookies. It's not time for cookies. Let's find a yummy snack to eat now.
    OR
    I'm so happy you calmed down. I know you were upset when I took the scissors away. Scissors can hurt you. Let's find something fun to play with now.

Then follow through with finding something to eat or do, spend a few minutes with him, and return to your day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Well first you have to understand that he is getting frustrated because he wants to do more things and doesn't understand why he isn't allowed to. Teach him that it is ok to be frustrated because everyone gets that way, but I personally don't think it's ok to punish a child for showing their emotions. You don't want them growing up to feel ashamed about their feelings. What I do with my son is I just ignore the behavior until he can calm down and 'tell' me what he wants. If it continues to the point where he is hitting, kicking, pinching etc. me, I will put him in his crib with his blanket and say 'when you can calm down and stop hitting mommy, I will come back and get you.' The first couple of times he just continued throwing his tantrum for a long time but now he almost immediately stops and it rarely ever gets to the point where we have to do that anymore.
    queenb525

Answer by queenb525 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• buy the book, "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" i love it!
    Candice_c3

Answer by Candice_c3 at 2:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I usually cycle through many different strategies to see what works becuase it seems like every situation is different. Usually I start by ignoring him, then try to distract him, then sit him in his time out chair. I do have stay by the chair and keep putting him back in it. Then when he stops crying/whining i ask him if he's ready to be good and play with his toys.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 10:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• my son will try to throw a tantrum, but i usually let him start it and then in the middle of it I just get down and ask if he is done in a clam voice, and usually he just shakes his head and I just stand up and tell him to let me know when he is done. He hasn't thrown a tantrum in ages that was in the ear piercing stage in a long time. He has now learned how to pout. When he raises his voice we just have to tell him to use his inside voice, and he has lowered his voice.
    Midnightduck515

Answer by Midnightduck515 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2008