why is it that moms want their babies early?

I just dont get it, maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. I see all these post on cafemom about how mothers want to have there children at 35 and 36 weeks, is it because they want to say yeah I had a premie? just because they are tired of being pregnant they shouldnt try to make there baby come early just for conveinence. I guess it kind of hits me hard, I had my singleton at 35 weeks to to pre e and my twins at 29 weeks due to pre e and hellp syndrome, it was not my choice to have my children before their due date. I would have loved to go as far as I could. I just dont understand it, and yes I understand that some of the women are just venting but others are serious.

duedec10

Asked by duedec10 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My doctor was shocked when I said I wanted my baby to make it till April, when I am due in March. I would rather have a well "cooked" baby vs an "undercooked" one! :) Better for the baby.
    Zoeybug

Answer by Zoeybug at 10:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I think a lot of it is impatience, convenience for the mother/parents/doctor, not wanting to be pregnant any longer, knowing the doctors can force babies out early and the babies will pretty much will be okay. It's a lot of reasons, most all of them selfish (I'm not talking about the medically necessary/dangerous circumstances). There are also a lot of reasons people give to justify their actions of putting their baby in danger by inducing labor too early.
    Anonymous

• I agree. Even at 37 weeks the baby can have issues. My daughter was born at 38 weeks and I think if she had been in for 2 more weeks she might not have had reflux or her colic.
    we2angels

Answer by we2angels at 10:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have never understood either. I mean we are all miserable at that point and are ready for it to be over. But you have to think of your baby before yourself.
    MOMMY2BABYGIRLS

Answer by MOMMY2BABYGIRLS at 10:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I figure the baby will get here when the baby gets here.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was induced at 36 weeks due to toxemia, she ended up staying in the nicu over night so I didn't even get to hold her till she was already a day old. My whole third trimester I was hoping to have her around the first of april rather than the end..my wish came true but I now wish It didn't!! Confusing I know, but most pregnant women don't think it will actually happen, they just want it to be over with.
    Anonymous

• i didnt have the choice in having my baby early but i am kinda glad i did, i didnt want a c section and my son was 8lbs 11 oz @ 36 weeks and his head was 13 cm i pushed hard enough to get him out but with a price to pay, i told my doc this time idk if i could handle another very large baby and i really dont want a c section!! so we will prob have a early baby, and i get very high BP my highest when not prego was 150/100....

PS my son had no heath problems!!
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 10:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• they thought i was going to go into preterm labor at 30 weeks so i had to have steroid shots and be put on bedrest! I wanted her to go full term so she would be healthy and come home and not have to stay in the hospital! No one thought i would make it past 34 weeks she proved them wrong they had to induce me at 39 weeks! I didn't try to get labor going til the doc gave me the ok then i went walking, but i was anxious to see her and i was getting miserable cuz i was huge but i never wanted mine to be premie!
    Anonymous

• SELFISH SELFISH SELFISH!!!!!

I am tired of seeing mamas so worried about their comfort that they would put their child's health on the line. I am like Zoeybug, I was not in a hurry for my baby to come.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I DONT GET IT EITHER! Being pregnant is very hard. Harder on some! But aren't we supposed to do everything for our baby. Not to make a huge comparison but I don't understand why are some women are against abortion and have no problem risking the health of a child they chose to keep. The US has the shortest gestation period and one of the highest infant mortality rates (in industrialized nations). I just don't get it.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2008