I am trying to figure out a lot about a father giving up his parental rights and if it is possible?!?

And I am planning on going to mediation and wondering if I should take a lawyer?!?

rlg234

Asked by rlg234 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• All I know is that it has to be the father's choice, you can't force him.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 10:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• In order for the father to give up his parental rights, he has to start the process. I think that's a general rule as states have their own guidelines. That and I'd talk to a lawyer beforehand.
    rlemde

Answer by rlemde at 10:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes, I would talk to a lawyer. may not be required but would be a whole lot easier. A father can give up his rights, but not sure on what all needs to be done.
    Anonymous

• Yes, If you are going to mediatiion & can agree on the terms without going to court, you will have your lawyer to sign off on the papers that were agreed on.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 12:22 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• you need to find a lawyer(s) who give a free consultation. get their advice. even if they are too expensive to hire, you would have a better idea of the legalities of it, and you may find a good lawyer in case you need one. take a list of questions with you so you can get all your bases covered. i did this in my situation, and i ended up needing the lawyer for the mediation (some lawyers will go based on your income for child related hearings. i think i paid $50 for mine) and my daughters dna genetic donor wanted nothing to do with her, but he didnt sign his rights away. hes ordered to pay child support, and he hasnt seen her in 11 years...he has no rights to her at all. i was blessed...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 2:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• He can give up his rights all day long...that does not however get him out of paying child support if you need it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2008