My son has swimmers ear & he was prescribed an antibiotic/steriod ear drops from the Dr. & was told to take Motrin for the pain. But he's in so much pain is there any thing else I can do for him. I've tried having him lay on a heating pad but that didn't seem to help. Thank You!!!

swimmers ear, son is 11 yrs. old, has a bad headache w/it too

panther07

Asked by panther07 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Health

• you can have him take both motrin and tylonal that might help.... also sweet oil in the ear thats warmed up helps at least with an earache it does and it can't hurt him.
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• his body will respond to alternating two different pain meds
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 12:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I got swimmer's ear a lot when I was younger... avoid putting ANY extra drops in his ears. All those homeopathic or herbal drops will make it worse. Do NOT put alcohol in there... he will SCREAM! Motrin, his antibiotics/drops, heating pads & sometimes blow a cool hairdryer toward his ear for like 30 seconds at a time to dry up some of the water. Also, next time you take him to the doctor for a checkup, have the doctor clean his ears out for you... see if they'll irrigate them... they used that "waterpik" thing in my ears & this HUGE clump of wax came out & I felt a zillion times better immediately!!!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2008