How do you think he will do??

We will have our house up for sale on Monday.. we are trying to relocate so our son will go to a better school district than we are in today - he turns 3 in Nov- he doesn't handle change well and I worry how he will do if we do end up getting in a new house.. he still wakes up at night like every other night - we have been battling that since he turned 2 but its SO much better and he seems to be sleeping through the night more and more but I worry that moving will affect him or make him sad or bedtime will get worse.. Just wanted to see how or if moving affected your toddler at all?? Right now we are 4 minutes from my mom which is GREAT and if we move, it will be like 30 minutes from her so I know that will be a hard adjustment for all of us too.. :( I wish we didn't have to move but I went to the school district we are in and I will not let him go there.. no way..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Talk to him about the move A LOT!!! My twin girls were 2 and a half when we moved from FL to CA, we talked about moving to a new house and how we fly on an airplane to get there. They had no problem with it at all and helped carry their stuff into their new room and slept through the night like we've always lived here. Just talk to him about it a lot before anything happens. Tell him how exciting it can be to get a new house and a new room and maybe see if there is something new he wants for his new room, like a new comforter or something cool he can pick out for himself.

Good luck.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Allow him to have input in how his room is arranged. That way, he will feel like some of the decision making was his and that he has some control over the move. Maybe that will help.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Make it a totally positive experience from looking at homes, packing, decorating, etc. He will be positive if you and DH are positive. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:01 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I agree about talking about it often but don't start too early. They still have no concept of time. Just let him join in on all that goes with it like looking etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010