oh my gosh...... rare colors in dogs

i saw an ad for maltese/shih tzu mixes and they say they have rare colors of dogs from being all white which is hard to find. seriously how hard would it to be to find an all white maltese...they are all white just cause you crossed it with a shih tzu which you rarely find in all white wouldn't make a mix with maltese being half of it a rare color. things people will say just tell sell puppies. they are so stupid. am i right or am i wrong? would white be a hard color to get in a cross breed where their only color they come in is white? maybe i don't know anything about breeding.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 11:14 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Pets

• not sure..
    Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• From what I understand, dogs that have recessive all-white coloring (like the shi tzu, who normally have color present) won't necessarily produce a white offspring - the fact that it was white in the first place was a genetic fluke. Even after a few breedings down the line, the all-white ones wouldn't be as common as ones with color. I don't think it would be "rare" necessarily, just not as common, if that makes sense?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Maybe for that mix it is hard to find a solid white. But frankly, I don't buy into the whole designer dog fad I would not go to a "breeder" for a mutt to begin with. I will continue to adopt my "desighner dogs" from the animal shelters
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i understand the shih tzu producing and all white one is uncommon but come on it's mixed with a breed that only produces white so the gene is there. i would never buy a mix/designer breed either. i was just browsing. i get pretty bored.
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• There are "rare" colors in boston terriers, too. Those colors are not to breed standard and good breeders wouldn't breed miscolored bostons just so they can get more money for them. I just don't understand why people would spend a ton of money for a purebred just to get one that isn't standard and probably hasn't had the propper health testing.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2010