Does this bother anyone?

My daughter is 10 (she'll be 11 in a little over a month). As soon as my dauhgter starts to talk about sex, I plan to put her on the pill. My thinking is I would much rather have a 13 year old on the pill than a 14 year old with a baby. I just want to know if that bothers anyone?

kgcmomma

Asked by kgcmomma at 10:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I agree with you. Wishing it weren't so doesn't make it not so. Education is very important, and putting her on the pill is not "permission" to have sex. I plan to do the same with my daughter.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 10:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You may need to be the one to bring it up. I would have never mentioned sex to my mom, even though we had a good relationship and talked about lots of things.
    Anonymous

• No offense meant towards Anonymous---but we have to talke to our kids about sex---if we don't--who will? I really don't want to think about who will--I'd rather it be me first!
    kgcmomma

Answer by kgcmomma at 11:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I would be concerned about the possible health risks that come with long-term use of oral contraceptives: cervical cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, liver tumors, increased risk of miscarriage, long-term problems with testosterone (which affects sexual function).

There are varying studies out there that say OC don't cause problems, and there are those that say they do. These issues are still unresolved.

Starting a girl early on birth control pills might not be the best choice to make, especially if she is going to continue using them for years to come.
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 11:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i was put on birth control when i was 12 the risk are small it wasnt because i was having sex its because i needed it to straighten out my periods i was an earl starter and they were messed up but i would talk to her about it but dont scare her or embarrass her me and my mom talked about and we talked about sex too she wanted me to be prepared when i was ready we have a good relationship when i was a teenager and we still do im 23 now with 2 kiddos but put her on something light and not the ring ,iud etc but talk to your doc its better to be safe then a grandma!
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Some statistics show that teens on birth control have a greater risk of contracting an STD, because they do not feel the need to use a condom.. just a thought. I was a nineteen year old mom.. but I won't put my daughter on birth control unless she asks for it, just because I want to trust her to make the right decisions. I asked for BC before I got pregnant.. parents just wouldn't give it to me, because I said it was for regulating my period. Just my opinion.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Putting my daughter on the pill included all the information about STD's. I wasn't just going to say here take this---you have nothing else to worry about.
    Just a thought----don't be so sure she's going to ask!
    kgcmomma

Answer by kgcmomma at 12:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2008