Would you be offended?

I was sitting on the beach with some friends and we were talking about everything... Grandchildren came up. My kids are 12.10 and 8 and I said that I am most likely 15 to 20 years away from grandchildren. One of the moms got really upset. She knows several young moms that already have grand kids in thier 30's and how could I say I would be well into my 50's before having grandkids. We were not talking about her friends. I was only talking about myself. My younger sisters is 38 and a grandmother, So I would never put down younger grand mothers. I am kinda stumped as to what I did.

stweshjali

Asked by stweshjali at 11:15 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ignore her reaction. Maybe she was hormonal, PMSing, or just simply took it the wrong way. You had good intentions by your statement and meant nothing wrong by it - the fault is on her for needing to relax. Seems she has some "granny issues" of her own and was just projecting them onto you.

You are in the right.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 2:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I could be a grandmother at 31! I pray to God it doesnt happen. You didnt say anything wrong. Maybe she was just overly sensitive and thought you were putting people down by saying that.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• who knows. overly sensitive maybe? your fine!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 11:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't think what you said is offensive at all. You didn't say you'd be pissed if you became a grandma before 40 or anything.

heck, if my oldest does like I did, I could be a grandma by the age of 34 LOL I really hope he's smarter than I was!

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• She was clearly being hormonal. Let it pass. If she bring it up again, just say that's when you ideally see yourself being a grandmother, but that you can't predict the future so it's not worth arguing about.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 11:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• maybe she just took it the wrong way and assumed you were saying that because you wouldnt want your children to be young parents.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• she didn't understand your comment about that. I don't see anything shame full wrong with that. She took it the wrong way
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 11:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't think what you said was offensive. I'm sorry she did!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• No. My mom became a grandma at 38. My oldest brother was born when she was 18. He was married at 19, and his dd was born a year later. I don't have a problem with it. My oldest is nearly 9 and I don't want grandchildren til he's out of college. From experience its not easy, and I would prefer he were able to have the college experience of being an idiot and partying while being a good student. So if I had to guess, I don't want to be a grandma for another 15 years either.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Oh, and that would make me 45.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2010