What is a family advocate?

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• here you go

The Family Advocate assists the parties to reach an agreement on disputed issues, namely custody, access and guardianship. If the parties are unable to reach an agreement, the Family Advocate evaluates the parties’ circumstances in light of the best interests of the child and makes a recommendation to the Court with regard to custody, access or guardianship.

LINKS
    General Information
    Contact Numbers
    PDF version - Pamphlet
    The Hague Convention
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 11:26 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Okay, is there another reason to have one? I have a (new) friend that had mentioned to me that her family advocate was coming over to the house. She is married and they have 4 children together- there is no custody issues w/ this family.
    cuteasabutton78

Comment by cuteasabutton78 (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Maybe she was referring to someone from their church, or even children's services? If one of their children has special needs, that could be it as well.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:34 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• The family advocate your friend may be referring to might have something to do with the dept of children's services. I'm a foster parent and it's my guess they are working with a family advocate to try to resolve some issues in an effort to keep the kids in the home rather than them being put into foster care. Your family advocate is someone who has a greater knowledge of the system and has your families best interest in mind, helps you with resources, monitors progress for the dept, advises and supports you in the event your children are removed from the home while an investigation is conducted...etc. I don't know that this is the case but if it's not a divorce matter it could be something with DCS. I hope this helps
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• All of the above are correct. It's basically someone to look out for your child - an adult who will "advocate" for him/her. Most times kids don't know how to speak for themselves, so advocates were created to help the children convey what they want and need.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 1:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• UMM I know we have a family advocate and it has nothing to do with custody issues or DCF or anyhting like that. We have two kids on the autism spectrum and they recieve a number of services with the state so we have and advocate that helps us with issues when we have them regarding the rights to recieve services,school issues ect. She may be having somethign liek this as well
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010