Jewelry making as a hobby?

Do you make jewelry? I've wanted to start for some time...it just all seems overwhelming, so I haven't. What does it entail?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Nope but would love to :)
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 11:33 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i would love to my grandma does it its like scrapbooking but with beads you have to make the time!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:34 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I do simple beaded jewelry. I want to make chainmail style jewelry but am intimidated by it LOL

the type I do requires some beads, some string (there are many options) and a dab of glue to put on the knot. Also occassionally crimp beads & a pair of pliers. Nothing real fancy.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• well here's it goes. I tried it. I started up my own business. First off any business you want to start up is going to be overwhelming. no matter what. I have sold a few items. But if takes time to get to where you want to . I have kind off given up. My husband is partner shipped with his dad in his own business. and they have working 5 years on there's and its busy. 24/7 stress full. I think what makes it hard to do and keep doing. Is if your on your own doing it. I feel if i had a co partner, it would not be so hard to do . yes by the way i do make jewelry .
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 11:35 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have done a couple of simple black cord necklaces with one pendant on each. Very simple. My son made me a couple of similar necklaces with several colored beads. If you have a MIchael's craft store nearby (or something similar) take a look at their jewelry supplies section. They have everything you need and booklets about it too. The selection of beads, charms, pendants is great. Have fun!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:37 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I do and I love it! You will have to do some research on the things you will need such as beads, chains, findings (clasps, crimp beads, earring posts and so on...), jewelry pliers, cutters... Try looking for some how-to videos on YouTube and do a search online for ideas and projects. It is a lot of fun, it just takes a little homework. Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:38 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I learned how to do basic beaded jewelry from the Klutz books (normally for kids). Here is the one for rings. Friendship bracelets and hair wraps are fun too! I don't have the time or the "oomph" to learn the sophisticated stuff. LOL!

firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 5:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• And if you're anywhere NEAR Baltimore, MD come see me. I've got tons of stuff I'll get rid of for dirt cheap. I don't use it anymore since I have two little kids. *wink*
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 5:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• LOL... oh Hot Frozen Dairy Treat! She can stop in Cleveland on the way... I have crap loads of supplies too! I've made lots of jewelry. Even learned to crochet wire beaded stuff... Start with something simple like earrings. Just a warning.... it can be addictive and expensive... but very rewarding. I started because I saw a bracelet that I wanted and couldn't afford... so I made it myself instead!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I just started. So far I've made 6 pairs of earrings that I'd like to sell and a bracelet with my daughter's name on it that's just for me.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2010