How can I get the smell of urine out of my carpet?

My son is potty training and has had some accidents on the living room carpet, I blot it up and use some soapy water to clean it, but I can still smell urine.
I don't have a shampoor

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I second the vinegar and water. We use 1 part vinegar to 2-3 parts water, depending on how strong we want our cleaning solution to be. Just spray it on the spot let it sit a minute or so, then soak it up with towels by putting pressure on the spot. If the mess or smell is really bad, you can put some baking soda on the spot and pour small amounts of straight vinegar onto the spot. Scrub the spot if desired, then add water to either soak up the mess or clean up with a wet vacuum, or steam cleaner if you have one.
    emeraldearth24

Answer by emeraldearth24 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• other than having to rent a rug doctor or have them done like by stanley steemer? You could try shout thats for laundry. I use that on my carpet works great
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• They sell this stuff at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $10 call NoOdor. I dunno whats in it but it kills odors
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• OdorMute. It's an enzymatic cleaner that will even remove skunk odor.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Vinegar and water. Mix half and half. Gets it out of clothing, too.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• FeBreeze!! I swear by the stuff!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2010