When is the best time to trim a hydrangea?

It's in full flower now. The bush is getting overwhelming for the spot that it's in and I was wondering if there was a time of year (or condition of watering) that was better for trimming it.

Dr.Donna

Asked by Dr.Donna at 11:45 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Depends on the species of Hydrangea that you have. This website can help you determine depending on your kind:
    http://www.colorchoiceplants.com/hydrangea_care.htm
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 11:53 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Normally I cut the flower heads off to dry them. I actually think Hydrangeas bloom from new growth, they don't grow from old growth, so double check, but I think I use to trim mine back in the spring.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Fall blooming shrubs bloom on new wood, so should be trimmed in the early spring, March or so. Spring blooming shrubs bloom on old wood and should be pruned right after they bloom.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have the Endless Summer variety in my gardens, and I cut them throughout the growing season. They DO bloom on old and new growth. The rule of thumb is to cut back the flower heads (not hack!) AFTER flowering/blooming to encourage new growth and to shape the shrub. You don't want to transplant a shrub in the middle of summer--the heat and the stress can kill a plant. So it's best to hack or transplant in the early spring--after Easter, or late fall--before Thanksgiving.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2010