How do you respond to your child saying "Mommy your mean"?

My daughter says this all the time exspecially when I say no to whatever it is that she wants at the present time. She also tells my parents that and anyone else who will listen to her(Friends and other family members).

myasmommy1107

Asked by myasmommy1107 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I say "I'm sorry you feel that way"
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I simply tell them "You can think that if you want... But you still aren't getting your way."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I think I'd ask why she feels that way and then we'd talk about it and how it hurts my feelings when she says that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• well i think i would make her start appologising..or tell her that it hurts your feelings..or tell her thats an ugly thing to say..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I tell her "I'm sorry you feel that way but I still love you"
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I usually say "That is not a nice thing to say. Do you want people to tell you that you are a "meaner"?" And then we have a conversation about how words can hurt
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My oldest DD said that to me once.. I told her that her saying that hurt Mommy's feelings .. She hasn't said it since
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Just tell her Im sorry you feel that way, but I can't help it. But I still love you & ask her why she thinks your mean & explain she can't get her way.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would discipline them the exact way I would if they said it to a friend or another family member. Time out and an apology. I would let them know how much it hurt your feelings too....see if you cant turn on some tears for her....kids understand tears.

I would NOT let her get away with it. I want to teach my kids that they talk to me with respect too!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My daughter says this to me all the time too! I simply say "I'm mean because I love you"
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 12:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010