My son is currently enrolled in a special education program in Nevada. He is about to start Kindergarten. I want to take him out of the state program and home school him. Are there any moms out there with advice and resources to help?

QueenReborn

Asked by QueenReborn at 12:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if you take him out of school he will lose all his support services
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Not always so. In some states kids that homeschool can get support services through the schools. My youngest son has a low IQ and he had speech therapy until he was around 12. He also has bipolar disorder. Homeschooling was the best choice for him. The doctors said he would never read, he learned to read when he was 12. He never had his self-esteem crushed by the school system. Once he learned to read in a matter of months he was reading at an adult level. With his 80 IQ he is now 22 and attending college.

There are so many choices for teaching your child at home now. I live in AZ and in AZ you can enroll your child in online programs and it's free. Since your son is only K age I recommend waiting until he is 7 or maybe even 12 before you worry about formal teaching.You might want to read John Holt's ideas about learning & the child's mind.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You can find info about homeschooling and discussion boards at http://www.mothering.com/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have a similar situation but my daughter has not been enrolled in a special education program yet shes 5. We decided against public school and I am going to stay home with her and home school. Our school district has an online academy which allows students to work from home with the guidance of a licensed teacher. I don't know if they have anything like that in your area another popular program like this is K12.  I decided to go with our local program as its closer when she needs help and needs to meet with the teacher.  But from what I hear from others in my  home-school group K12 is pretty good.

Alyia72

Answer by Alyia72 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010