Because I said so

Do you use this on your kids? My mother said this to me all the time growing up and honestly it only pissed me off more! Yes I think kids should learn to respect their parents decisions but I don't understand why some parents think kids "don't deserve an explanation". Isn't it better to help your child understand where you are coming from (even if they don't agree) instead of thinking you're just being a b*tch simply "because you can"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• rolling on floor Yes... guilty!  I try to explain things... but some times Im just so tired that I have no reason other than "because I said so"

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes, explain as much as you can to them. It's better, but not always feasible.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I think I may have said it once or twice - I really try hard not to. I remember my mom doing that to me as well, I always felt like I was getting the brush off. I don't usually go into great detail, but I at least let them know why something is.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I believe in giving an explanation...hubby believes in "because I said so"
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Oh... here is a good example of when I said it last. DD 15 wanted to have friends spend the night. I simply didnt want other children in the house that night. I had a busy week and really just wanted it our own family. I told her this and she kept questioning - what if we stay in my room, what if we sleep in the rumpus room, what about this, what about that... I had had enough. I didnt have a real reason other than I simply didnt want it. So "Because I said NO, was my final answer"

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I'm not explaining for the millionth time why I'm saying something isn't going to happen, or why a particular behavior is wrong. They know its wrong, and they know why. Asking me at that point is just irritating. I don't use this phrase often but I can see where the need might arise.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I hate it too. I don't see why parents can't give their child an explanation. It helps SO MUCH if the child understands why they cannot do something. I feel like some parents take their kids for idiots thinking they might not understand their logic of reason. But, i always give it a try. Kids are smart & they like to know why they can or can't do something. It also helps them not do something in the future if they know why it's not OK. My friend always says "because i told you so". the other day her child asked if he could have chocolate. She said "NO" he said "why not" And she said "because i told you so" I asked her "why don't you just take the minute to explain to him that too much sugar is bad for your health & teeth?" So she did...and ya know what her son said? "Oh...OK, can i have one tomorrow?" And totally stopped bothering her. I think it's very imortant to give your kids an explanation!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We usually tried to explain our reason for things but I've also been known to tell them "because I said no and I'm bigger than you"....can't do that anymore though cause I look up at my 15 yr old LOL.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I do try to explain things but when my boys are in a "why" mood then after a million whys it just becomes "because I said so, no more questions" lol
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Sometimes I say it because I've already explained the reason twenty times.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010