My 9 month old just started to hold his breath and pass out for a couple of seconds while crying. Has anyone ever experianced this?

I have heard of this from toddlers and older but not babies. He just started this last week. He starts crying because he got hurt and if I don't get right to him quickly he turns bluish/purple and I have to blow in his face a couple of times to get him to take a breath then he takes a breath and collapses in my arms for about 5 seconds. It's so scary !! I'm going to call the doctor but I just wondered about other peoples experiances with this with their baby.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never experienced this.....I think you're def. doing the right thing by calling the Doctor. Good luck to you and your little one. Big hugs to you!
    ColinsMommy07

Answer by ColinsMommy07 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i havent personally, but i've heard of it happening
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My little brother used to do this. My mom would blow in his face and he'd breathe again. It's a temper tantrum phase...he outgrew it in like a month.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 11:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• YES!! TWO of my daughters. BOTH did this from the moment they were born!! It was like they were so furious to be born that they threw a fit! My daughter Sherrie kept it up and would hold her breath, turn blue/gray in the face and pass out . Very alarming to watch. I felt quite helpless.When she got angry it was like she'd have a meltdown-- she did this until she was about 2. When I asked the pediatrician what to do about it he laughed and said, "You don't have to do a thing! As soon as she passes out she'll automatically start breathing. She always comes out of it doesn't she?" I said "Yeah she does" and he told me, "If you don't give her any attention for it, she'll outgrow it". Well, she's now 19 years old and works in daycare with infants and toddlers--some who throw fits just like she used to!! Kerrie outgrew it much earlier.She quit doing it before she turned a year old. Take heart, your little guy WILL outgrow this!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 12:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I agree with April- my peds told me the same thing. IF they pass out their body takes over and starts to breathe again.
    I disagree about the blowing in the face. If you think about it, have someone blow in your face. Better yet, hold your head out the window while driving down the road. When you have that in your face, it takes your breath away- just what you are trying to NOT do.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I did it as a baby whenever I didn't get my way (my mom reported this, as I don't remember). She used to let me pass out as her doctor said, "Well, then she'll start breathing, won't she?"

:)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:09 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I used to do this as a child. The doctor told my dad not to worry that when I pass out I start breathing so I am fine now!!!
    isaacsmom209

Answer by isaacsmom209 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2008