If only one religion were the only 'true religion,' then the vast majority of the world would be spiritually unfulfilled and miserable with their personal religions and beliefs, right?

We know that's not the case. So why do people insist that their way is the 'right' way- the one and only 'true' way to happiness and fulfillment?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 12:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't believe that there is only 1 true religion or path to God.

I believe there is a right religion for each individual. But not for everyone as a whole. Each person has their own path, their own individual relationship with God (if they believe in God).. How can any person's individual relationship and belief in God be incorrect or not the right belief or relationship.

For me, since religion has been around since the dawn of man in one form or another. As well as the belief in God. It's very hard for me to fathom that there is only 1 religion that is the only true and right religion. God is God. Regardless of what name you choose to use (God, Allah, Brahma, etc.) regardless of the name of your place of worship, or the rituals you choose to follow. Ek Onkar, One God One Universal Creator... Brahma Ek e Hai.. God is One.. there is no difference.. There is only one God, all believers believe in that one God.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• wrong.. I know you dont believe this but... it is part of Satan's plan to deceive people into thinking they are happy without God in their lives. It is a wool over the eyes to even see the truth. He will do anything he can to get as many people to not believe in God. He is one angry devil who goofed up and got kicked out of heaven so his revenge is to get as many to come with him.
    God has a plan but many do not realise that so does Satan.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Right... Which is one of many reasons I don't believe any one religion is right...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Wrong .... Belief in the One True God is not about personal happiness and self-fulfillment. It is about the restoration of the relationship between God and man; where man WILLINGLY chooses to love and worship God, and God WILLINGLY chooses to love and bless us in return. Joy and peace come secondary; the chief end of man is to worship God and enjoy Him forever. At the fall, because man chose to grasp equality with his Creator, that relationship was broken, but since we are creatures created for the purpose of worship, we substitute idols for the One True God - hence the formation of other religions. There may be a level of personal happiness and self-fulfillment from worshiping idols, but it is fleeting and superficial compared to what the child of God experiences in Him. Satan uses sin to give man immediate pleasure in an attempt to get man to love himself before God. The pleasure found in God is not always immediate ....
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• ... but it will be ETERNALLY fulfilling.
    Gal51

• i agree with you, OP. if someone feels uplifted by their belief, who am i to say its "wrong" or "evil"?!

mom2two, i was unhappy WHILE i was trying to follow Christian doctrine and stuck w/ my parents faith. it wasnt until i started searching that i become happy and started feeling fulfilled. and i know many ppl who've had the same experience as me. i wouldnt be surprised if these unhappy ppl already claimed Christianity (since so many Americans do), and thats the cause of their depression.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Because of arrogance, pure and simple. Their way must be the right way because it's what THEY do. Their religious text must be the only correct religious text because said religious text says it is. <-- That circular logic always makes my head want to exlode. LOL I definitely do not believe that my way is the right way for everyone, and I'd never tell anyone their faith/personal beliefs are wrong. Who the hell am I to suggest such a thing when none of us knows for certain? None.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If you are happy and secure in your beliefs, you don't need a big group of "followers" around you to lend credence to your own delusions. And those with the most people following are not necessarily the RIGHT religions. They are only the most sucessful ones. There is no room for doubts. If your deity is not with you all the time, you don't really have him/her.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I believe that the vast population of the world IS unsatisfied and searching. They just dont know for what. I mean, people look for it in drugs, crazy unprotected sex, porn, zillions of different religions and gods, money, fame, etc....people look for fulfillment in a million ways.

AND lovinangels is right as well, the devil can deceive these people into thinking b/c they are wealthy, beautiful, have lots of sex, are porn stars....ect....that they are HAPPY with their lives.....

Why else would the drugs for depression anxiety etc.....be being used in such HIGH doses.

I mean, I think drugs for depression are fine, I am NOT saying people shouldn't take them, but it seems like everyone I know is on something b/c they are sad or depressed....I see the general population as looking for something.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• It's marketing, plain and simple. lol... what better incentive to join a religion than the promise of a happy fulfilled life/afterlife if your life is currently miserable?

Wanting what we don't have is an inherent trait throughout mankind, which causes many people to be unhappy or greedy.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010