Myth or Fact?

Are you not supposed to eat dairy 2hrs before/after taking your prenatal vitamins?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Never heard of this before
    Zoeybug

Answer by Zoeybug at 11:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• This is really up to you. There are fat soluble vitamins in there A, D, E, K that require fat to be absorbed.

Then you have iron in the vitamins that do better either on an empty stomach or even better with vitamin C.

If you drink milk or eat dairy then you will not absorb the iron and some other of the nutrients.

If you drink or eat any type of caffeine like chocolate you will have difficulty absorbing calcium.

So..... what I do is mix it up every day. Nothing is easy!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 11:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Never heard of it either....
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 11:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I've never heard of that before.
    I always take my vitamin before I eat my cereal in the morning =3
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have never heard of that at all..... I had to take my vitamins right before bed otherwise the high level of iron in them made me even sicker than I already was. My OB always told me it didn't really matter when or how I took them, just the fact that I did was the important part. I think just the fact that you are taking them is a huge benefit to your child so you should just take them when it is convenient for you.
    bkbecca

Answer by bkbecca at 12:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Sounds like some old 3rd world country folk tail to me. American medicne encourages a balanced diet with sufficent calcium and vitamin D which you get in milk.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• she didnt say no daairy at all she said before her prenatals ... and ive never heard of it i drink milk with mine its the only way i have not gotten sick after words lol ..
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 10, 2008