Looking for a quick and economical dinner idea....

for three teens and an adult. Need ideas besides the normal hot dogs etc.
Thanks, have a great weekend!

Futuregirlzone

Asked by Futuregirlzone at 1:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• yesterday I threw 2 chicken breasts into the crock pot added 2cups chicken broth, 1/3 lime juice, a few squirts lemon juice, some cayenne pepper, some coriander, some minced garlic, and a can of rotel on high for 4 hours. about 2 hours before it was done I threw in 1 1/3 cups of brown rice in. When it was done the chicken literally fell apart and I mixed it all together and then served it over salad, but it would work well in burrito shells too. It was easy and cheap especially since it was all stuff I had on hand. It served me and my husband and there was lots left over enough for at least one more meal.

do you have any meat frozen in your freezer, I have lots of different recipes that I've been collecting lately for quick easy cheap meals, but it helps to know what you have on hand, because that's how I figure out what I can work with.

Also I'm always a big fan of black beans, rice, cucumber, and cheese. or breakfast
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have a ton of recipes that are quick, tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly. Send me a message if you would like some

Answer by rkoloms at 1:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I make hashbrown casserole with sausage, ham, or chicken in it for my guys when I need something quick, cheap and filling.

1 large bag of frozen shredded hashbrowns
    1 small onion chopped
    1 large or 2 small cans of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
    1 cup sour cream
    2 cups shredded cheese ( I actually use more because I like some on top)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, mix potatoes (I prefer to defrost potatoes in the microwave first, but you can mix them in frozen), onion, soup, sour cream and cheese in a large mixing bowl until well blended. At this point I add either sliced polska kielbasa, ham chunks, or chopped cooked chicken, whatever I have on hand. Spread in a 9x13 pan, and bake for 45-60 min. shorter if you defrost the potatoes.

Although the recipe doesn't call for it, I sprinkle extra cheese on top, and some seasoned bread crumbs.

My guys (18 &21) plus hubby, are always filled up, affordably, & l
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2010