At what age...?

Should a child no longer use a sippy cup? We always get into debates about bottles but sippy cups are never addressed.

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 1:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't even use those.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I once had a dr tell me to not even use a sippy and I ask if he was gonna come clean up the messes. A sippy is ok but not at 5 y/o.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My youngest stopped at about age 3 or so..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• when you know they wont spill it. I practiced using regular cups beginning at two. By the time she was 4, there were no more sippy cups in the house at all.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My husband and i really never talked about it. My oldest who is 3 still uses a sippy cup. Its not because he cant use a reg. cup but because sippy cups he can take out of the kitchen and i dont have to worry about him spilling his juice all over my white carpet. I think if it ever became a problem when offering a reg. cup at his age right now say he demanded a sippy then i would probably stop using them all together.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• my child just turned 3 and we use them for on the go, or in the livnging room. but at dinner and anything else, she drinks from a reg cup
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 1:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We stopped at 3. I think once the child has good control of the tipping to drink they are good without it. I still use a sippy cup for myself! lol
    celeste1

Answer by celeste1 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• By the time they're in school so they don't get teased. (I had a friend tell me this because she wasn't even thinking about it and didn't realize her son was starting to get teased about it in kindergarten). I like sippy cups because my kids can take them to bed (with just water in them), take them in the car, and carry them all over the house. When we sit at the table I try to give them a real cup as soon as they're able to handle it. Although my daughter is almost 3 and I don't give her a real cup even at the table because I can't get her stop playing in it and making a mess. She apparently can't drink out of a cup without sticking her entire hand into it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I plan on my babygirl to start using a cup at 2yo. and to completely stop using a sippy at about 2 1/2 yo. if not sooner.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Nothing beats the spill proff sippy! My girl stopped using one about 2 or so.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010