Is 42 to old to have first child?

adakbride

Asked by adakbride at 1:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• For me, yes, for other people, no! As long as you are healthy enough to be pregnant, it is not too old!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• my mom was 45 when she had me. She is 73 now & works full time out of choice. She hates sitting around, so she would rather work & make some money. She had no complications with me & i was an "accident". My paternal grandmother told her i was going to be retarded if she didn't abort ,me...what a bitch...LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I had my third child at 38.5 so I guess not.... I really don't think age makes that much of a difference.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 1:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't do it personally, I didn't want any more kids after I turned 30, but that's just me. other women do and do just fine
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't think so, as long as you're in good health. I do think age matters when you hit your 50's and 60's, and obviously, most women can't have babies at that age anyway, but I think it's important to have your children young enough that barring unforeseen circumstances, you will mostly likely be around to raise them. 42....still young enough!! (In my opinion)
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• No, it's not.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• No! If you want a child and you are 42 - go for it! I was 40 when I had my 3rd. Of course it's easier to have them young, but if that is your situation, hurry up before it's too late.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If you are healthy and producing eggs still, go for it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My understanding are the risks to mama and baby grow as the age grows. But if your dr says you are healthy and able and its what you want; GO FOR IT!!
    van5

Answer by van5 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Nope, it is not too old. There was a recent news report on a 63 year old women having twins. :)
    I just spoke to a local lady here, 43 and had her first baby at home with a midwife. Gorgeous family!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2010