how often and how much coffee did/do you drink while pregnant?

did it have any adverse effects? my doc says there arent really any studies that say how bad cofee is they just recomend not to drink more than a cup a day. i like my coffee shop esspresso though, is that the same as a cup of coffee? and i only have maybe 2 a week. so what is safe?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 1:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I drink 1 cup in the morning and have had absolutely no problems, and completely healthy babies.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Espresso has more caffeine than coffee, I want to say double? I had a cup or two of coffee every day when I was pregnant all 3 times, my doc said it was fine. (And all my kids are healthy as well).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• 1-2 cups a day. He is right, they have no prof that coffee is bad to drink while pregnant. They just recommend to take it easy. I would not have made it without coffee...lol, kept me going throughout my whole pregnancy. AND my DD is totally normal & mellow!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• When I was preggers wtih my son, I would have 1 cup of regular a day then drink decaff the rest of the day. If I wanted a soda I would have a soda, whether there was caffine in it or not. I did the same when I was preggers with my daughter. I was never worried about my caffine consumption
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I had a cup a day, sometimes 2 with my youngest. My midwife said I could in moderation.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• when I first got pregnant I tried to cut it out completely and then maybe I'd have one (espresso) every couple weeks, but then I started to get bad headaches and my doctor told me to drink more caffeine lol. I believe that a espresso has much more caffeine than a cup of black coffee, because they say one cup of coffee or 2 glasses of soda, and soda is about 50,g caffeine whereas a starbucks grande drink is 400 mg of caffeine lol. That being said I drink a grande drink a couple times a week, and when I don't i'll drink a cup of coffee or more. I think it's ok. I guess we will see when my baby is born lol.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I had to stop drinking coffee because it tasted too strong. However my mom drank about a pot a day when she was pg with me and I was swollen with fluid when I was born. It's mainly the caffeine thats not good for the baby.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't drink coffee.. Too much caffeine for me.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I am a HUGE coffee drinker so when i was preg. with both of my little ones it was so hard for me to quit. I switched to decaf for a while and very soon just quit all together just wasnt the same. I maybe had 3 caf. coffees my whole preg with my sec. with my first none at all. My doctor said try none at all but if i must that one a week should be okay...Because caffeine causes blood vessels to constrict, it may reduce blood flow to the placenta. And because it easily crosses the placenta and reaches your baby (who then metabolizes it very slowly), caffeine may directly affect your baby's developing cellst none at all.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• The smell of coffee made me sck during pregnancy. I actually puked on the floor of Food Maxx next to the coffee beans.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 1:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010