We both smoke weed, but I want full custody.

My ex and I both smoke weed. He smokes all day every day, I smoke at parties or friends houses and never when im taking care of my daughter. Recently our civil break up has blown up into war. I want to take him to court for child support and full custody of our daughter. He is an evil SOB and will tell them i smoke. I havent smoked in a couple of weeks now, but it will be in my hair for months. I honestly do not believe im doing wrong by smoking on occasion, because whether or not its legal, it IS less harmful than alcohol. I do not feel i am endangering my daughter in any way. But my ex will try to make it look that way, even while he will probably be stoned at the court hearing. I really dont think in a million years the court would give my daughter to him, because I am clearly the better parent. He is a drunk and a druggy and doesnt care about her at all. Im just worried about what will happen if they drug test me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• What is your question?
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 1:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If you both test positive you could both lose custody of your children. Talk to an attorney, he/she will advise you on the best course of action.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Is it really so hard to just quick smoking pot? If your daughter is your priority then quit smoking and then you will clearly be the better parent. I'm not saying that your ex should get her, he seems to be trouble with a capital T. I'm just saying if your afraid of how it looks stop doing it.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I tend to think that if you are doing something that could have you lose your child, then its wrong - but there are teas you can drink, pills you can take to help your urine I believe but I don't know how common it is for them to do hair testing..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Maybe the hearings will last long enough that it could be out of your system when they check. I'd stay off of it. Hopefully there would be a better chance of getting custody. I don't know much about drug testing, but maybe they would be able to see the amount you use versus how much he uses. But if you both smoke it you probably shouldn't be using that as a reason to get custody.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I think you both need to grow up a little before considering who is most fit to raise a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• no you wont lose custody youd prolly have to do a drug test until your clean, a drug class and parenting program. i got caught smoking when i had my son and thats what happened to me so maybe it would be similar to you. be honest because honesty is the best policy no matter what. Ive been straight ever since.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Why would you be so worried about failing? He would fail also- (if it is true that he smokes daily). Two wrongs don't make a right. This stuff also gets very ugly and messy when children are involved. I agree with Scuba =) Good luck!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• question is...... what will happen if they drug test me.
    answer is....I havent smoked in a couple of weeks now...so MAYBE you will pass pee test

and your justifications......I honestly do not believe im doing wrong by smoking on occasion, because whether or not its legal, it IS less harmful than alcohol. and the old stand by.... I smoke at parties or friends houses and never when im taking care of my daughter.
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If I were you I would quit smoking weed period. Then, you can be honest at the hearing and say that you used to do it, and would be more than willing to submit to a drug screening. And honestly speaking, it takes several months for a custody hearing usually, a hair follicle analysis is only accurate for 3 months prior. So, quit now, and you will be clean before court.

However, you honestly need to put what is right for your child first, and continue to remain clean after, just in case.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010