Which would you pick? Pre School

A. $102/mo through the park district. 4 year old class, 2 teachers, MWF 2.5 hours a day. Runs Sept to May. Field Trips on occasion.

B. $165/mo, 4/5 class, coop pre school, very parent involved. There is an orientation night, and 20 minute meet the teacher session. Field trips once a month, and parent gets to volunteer in the class every 6 weeks.

Paying $165 a month vs $102 a month would be a bit tight, but I'd manage. School B sounds like it may be more beneficial. It's the money thing that bugs me, and I know I shouldn't let that be the factor.

So parents which would you pick????

KairisMama

Asked by KairisMama at 1:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think the $102 per month sounds fine. I would also pick the one closest to my home as well. I visited a few and spent about an hour at each with my Son (unannounced). I ended up selecting the one that is the most money but it is closest to my home. The one I selected is part of an Ice Skating facility so my Son will learn to skate & he receives a brand new pair of skates of his own. I like this one because they do a lot of activities like science, cooking, crafts etc. and do occasional field trips. Field trips are not my favorite part though and I will volunteer to accompany them when they go. I also like that they have an EMT on duty at all times and it seems very safe as well. You should get a good feeling when you visit and go with your gut instinct.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• A
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• A, I think parents can still be very involved in the A school
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• It would depend on a number of factors
    what is the level of education for the teachers at each center? what kind of professional development do they have to have every year? what is the staff turnover like? who has a more comprehensive parent handbook?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• B also runs MWF 2.5 hrs a day by the way. :)
    KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• B. I like to be involved and volunteering every 6 weeks sounds great! Plus the orientation and parent/teacher meeting would give you an idea of he teacher and classroom. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I'd go with A
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would want to meet and observe both the teachers/settings/ kids before deciding and would base my decision on that. Expensive does not mean better ...all of the bells and whistles in the world are not worth the extra money if they are not being blown.

If you like each teacher/program equally I would base it on cost and convenience.
    Marybeth1730

Answer by Marybeth1730 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Thanks for the responses. Another thing about pre school A is that there is no school to visit prior. They set up pre school at the communituy center, and will have it ready by the first day of class. I'd assume it's a nice place since there was quite a waiting list, and I am actually able to be part of a second added class. I've already toured B, and met teachers. I like the place, as does DD. I am going to discuss this with DH when he gets home too.
    KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Ask to see a copy of the curriculum for both schools and ask how closely they align their programs with the town's kindergarten program. You want to make sure your child is being prepared for kindergarten. You might also talk to the school district to see which program they believe better prepares kids. By 4, one of the main goals of preschool should be kindergarten prep. You shoudl also look at how long the teachers have been there (high teacher turnover can be a sign of a problem) and ensure the teachers are certified (not all private teachers are). This might give you some additional information to evaluate the schools on.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010