What should I say?

I am seriously thinking about changing religions. I told my husband what I was thinking about. All he said was that he didn't think it was a real religion and that he didn't want the "stuff" in the house. It is one of the oldest practices in the world. Should I print off a bunch of facts for him to read or should I just drop it and not change religions? I don't want to put a crimp in my marriage.

proudmama1207

Asked by proudmama1207 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Relationships

• I think that this depends on soooo many factors that we just don't know. What religion are you? Are both you and your husband religious people? Is it something that is practiced regularly in your household? Why do you want to change religions? And so on......Please don't feel the need to answer these questions. They are more for you to think about. I guess my first response is "Why do you want to change? What is prompting this change? Is it something you truly want to do or is a change of religion a temporary solution to something else going on?" I am not sure that presentation of facts will help unless they are your own, well thought out facts of why you want to do this. I also think that your husband needs to take the time to listen to you and not dismiss something that has the potential to radically change the dynamics of your relationship. Sorry...probably not much help.

have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 12:10 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I guess it all depends on how serious you are about this other religion. For your husband to say he didn't want that stuff in the house, makes me wonder what type of religion you are talking about.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I am sure there is a way to follow what you believe and not put a crimp your marriage. Maybe print the facts and sincerely tell your husband why it is a good choice. Do you mind if I ask waht your current religion is and what you want to change to?
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• what religion is it? if you dont mind me asking? anyways get info on it and explain that you feel strongly about it maybe it will help?
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I am a nonpracticing christian. I haven't been active in the christian faith for 4-5 years. I am a very nature-based person. I am looking into Wicca or one of the related religions. I know some people don't even consider that group religions. I did try to tell him why I wanted to. I have done so much research over the last couple of months. It seems to fit with my personality and the way I think. I have so many problems with things in the christian faith. That is why I want to change. My husband told me that he doesn't want witchcraft and that spell crap in the house. It is not like I would force him or our son to do it with me.
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I have so many problems with things in the christian faith. I want to change religions because we have been having some problems lately and I feel like I need some spiritual guidance in my life. We are not a real religious family. Thsi is something I would do on my own time for myself. We can all be a little selfish sometimes. I want to do this for myself because I feel it is something I need to do.

proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• wicca isnt just about witch craft or spells it is a religion and explain that to him i studyed it and it is a faith but people get the wrong idea they think its the work of the devil but its not!
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• it look like your doing just that, putting a crimp in your marriage. good luck with that. if my hubby said that i would be me or the church. i know he would pick me. i always believe that couples should be of the same faith so stuff like this doesn't happen.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• You say that this new religion really rings true to you and how you feel, believe etc.. I would be more conserned that my husband doesn't understand me well enough to see why this is something I would be interested in. Why he isn't being supportive and happy for you that you found something that is so interesting to you. Sounds to me like he is pretty close minded. Sorry he is being a jerk. You need to do what you need to do for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Are you talking about Wicca?
    Anonymous