Would you be upset if your daughter/son told you that. they "didn't eat snack because the teacher said they wouldn't stop talking!"these kids were in kindergarden.

Nancygray2

Asked by Nancygray2 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes. (certified teacher here). You need to have a talk with the teacher. You never, ever withhold food as a punishment. That's simple psychology 101. Kindergarten children need snacks. If talking is an issue, then this teacher needs to handle it another way. If she doesn't see your point of view, then you take it up with the principal.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would be upset with my child for not listening to directions, not upset with the teacher for enforcing a consequence for misbehavior.

And no child will starve - or be nutritionally deprived - for want of a snack. This wasn't a meal, it was a snack. A privilege.
    lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 8:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Snack is not a meal it's more of a privilege and therefore not hurting your child by not giving it to them. When they get into school they have to learn to obey rules and such just like all the other kids. Yes they are young but at that age they should know how to listen. No child is perfect and so there will be ones thru don't listen but they nee to know there are consequences. As long as everyone in that class is being held to that standard them really there I nothing wrong with it. Snacks are between meals so not getting one won't hurt. Unless of course their meals are too far apart then there shouldn't be a problem with them not getting one. Ao please relax on the idea that they are being starved. If my dd was disrupting class or talking at a time hen ahe should be quiet then she deserves to not get a snack.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 2:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I just think that many parents these days get up in arms with teachers about ridiculous things...taking away a kid's grapes or animal crackers is not the end of the world. I think we are too soft on our kids and blame the schools/teachers way too often. I assume your daughter JUST started kindergarten, which means the kids are all learning new rules, you have no idea how poorly the class was acting when the teacher took their snack away. For all you know they were warned several times. In this case, I would give the teacher the benefit of the doubt. I absolutely can not stand these parents that run to the schools accusing teachers of craziness. If your child was singled out, or something worse happened, sure, talk to the teacher, or if this becomes a habit, ask her kindly about it, but one time? No, I would not be mad at the teacher, I would be mad at my daughter for misbehaving.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes, because food shouldn't be used as a punishment.

(I know they say not to use it as a reward either, but if offering my kid some ice cream if he will eat his veggies, well...yeah...I'm gonna do it, heh).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• No. I bet they all learned their lesson. Missing a snack certainly is not going to hurt anyone.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Hell yea. They are children. Children don't always listen, that doesn't mean you starve them. Snacks help them stay focused too. I would be soo pissed. I love watching children eat. I would be at that school first thing the next school morning.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Talk to the principal if this bothers you. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• This happens too often, they talk about kids needing the proper nutrition to be able to function throughout the day. Too many teachers go beyond. Over the years I have fought this battle too many times.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• That is just how it is in kindergarten, at least is was for my kids...I personally think it is ok. Being hungry never hurt anyone, and it wasn't like she took lunch away. I remember having to "stand on the carpet" and miss snack because I was talking too much. If she has a good breakfast, and a good lunch, then she won't even be hungry....
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 2:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2010