my 34month daughter is not talking much.... help!

My younger daughter is turning three in the end of November and isn't talking very much.... she can say daddy, mommy, yes, no, and a couple other words... .she likes to show you what she wants, and she knows what you say and what we are going to do... she is very smart! Is this normal behaviour??? thanks for looking!

mommyofrubylena

Asked by mommyofrubylena at 12:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As long as she is meeting her other developmental milestones, is happy, healthy etc.. I wouldn't worry about it. All kids are different. Don't stress about it she will talk when she is ready. My brother did this and he is a very articulate and smart person. He just didn't have a whole lot to say until he was a bit older. Could be because I talked so darn much lol. Keep in mind that Albert Einstine didn't talk until he was 5.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 12:11 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My daughter, now 12, did this. She is very smart (honor roll), but I think she has expressive language issues (not formally diagnosed). She now has difficulty expressing more complex thoughts vertbally, but does it wonderfully on paper. I've heard that speech therapy would help with that at an early age, but I didn't know when she was little.
    mushmushmom

Answer by mushmushmom at 12:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• my now 10 y/o wouldnt talk either at that age. He went through a few yrs of therapy. Now hes a little chatter box lol. I was really worried when he wouldnt talk. I worked with his so hard, but he did it his way.
    Just keep an eye and work with her.
    luckyiamx3

Answer by luckyiamx3 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• If you are wrried about it, there should be agencies in your area to help you get a speech evaluation. She may not have a delay at all, she just knows how to get what she wants without speaking, so she chooses not to. My older son has speech issues and I had him evaluated (ears and all) and it seems that his ADHD is part of it. Now, I am NOT saying that is your DD;sproblem at all. My other son doesn't talk either, but he has PDD-NOS, so there is an explanation for his lack of speech. But, again, I am NOT saying that is your DD's problem. I would just recommend that you have her evaluated and see what they say.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:35 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• ask about getting her into speech therapy at her 3 year check up. She should be able to have a conversation by now
    Anonymous

• My son just turned three on Sep. 28, he does not talk much either. At age 2 we got him evaluated by a group called the CDSA they found him to have developmental delays. Then we were set up with preschool program, its ran by the exceptional children department of your local school board, he was evaluated through them and then was admitted into a classroom at a public school in what they now call a prek class, its only been two weeks but we can already see a difference in him. You should really look into it, its great. I have a two year daughter and she talks up a storm I think she's actually advanced for her age. And by the way the program is completely free. If you have any more questions about the program or anything else just send me a note and I'll try my best to help.
    maggieradford

Answer by maggieradford at 5:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• sometimes...a child just doesn't want to talk. encourage her to talk. I play a game with my son where he has to tell me what noise does (animal) makes? and he tells me. He calls that game animals and then we play numbers where he repeats the numbers as i say them. And I usually just go. One. Two. Three. and so far the other day we got all the way up to 100. He can now count to 25 by himself. We do Letters the same way. I have started getting him to sing with me....like twinkle twinkle little star. Sometimes you just have to carry on a converstation with'em and no get to you when they dont want to respond. If anything try teaching her some American Sign Language and pretty much don't rush her. She will talk more when she has something to say.
    Midnightduck515

Answer by Midnightduck515 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I would not worry about it. Give your daughter some time to speak more words and sentences. As long as she has other types of communication, she should be just fine. If for some reason you continue to worry about your daughter's progress, you should consider visiting this website called Nogginpower2. I realized that Nogginpower2 offers a great deal of manuals to help you with your daughter's progress, such as Getting Great Grades, Discipline, Making New Friends and Better Social Skills. These manuals from Nogginpower2 should aid you in helping your three-year-old improve her speech. She can that way better relate to her peers. thank you and good luck in your daughter's progress.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2008