I gave a monetary contribution to my daughter school...will it really benefit her?

I am not sure whether the sum and the benefit were right...do you contribute? I mean they asked, I wanted to be nice and some parents do... but how much indeed my child will benefit from this, I don't know...

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Did they tell you want the money would be going towards? My son's school has a spirit club and they send out a flyer at the beginning of the school year asking for donations. They list what the money goes towards and how much it takes each year to operate the program for that school year. I know that any amount of money that I donate to my son's school will benefit him in one way or another.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have never been asked to contribute, the only thing that has ever been asked of me was to contribute like $5.00 for the replenishment of school supplies throughout the year, but never to just contribute to the school in general. I donate lots of time to the school though, as I have been involved with the PTO executive board at the school for 3 school years now.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• This is my first year in school... i gave 1000 dollars (500 right away and the rest with payments), they did not state specifically how much and where it goes...but i think it is very expensive and I should not have done it. This is just public school- very good one, but feels as if my daughter was going to private one...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I wouldn't have donated until I knew what the donation was for. My kids schools have fundraisers on occasion, I always know where the money is to be spent and how it will benefit them or the cause.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Are you kidding> $1000. to a public school? oh yeah, you have to be kidding us.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• ;-(, it feels very bad...but Ok, done.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• No, not really. Aka really not. They do have nice clubs and activities for kids, but frankly I think I made a mistake. I feel very stupid.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You can still ask specifically what the money will be used for. can you cancel the part that will be on payments? Tell them it was more than you should have promised.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Was it an Elementary school or ....what type of school? For me to contribute,I'd have to know what and where the $ was going.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 3:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes, elementary school. Well, they state that the money will be going for the library, clubs, having smaller size class and so... the reasons are OK,...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010