I took an herbal sample and then breastfed my daughter what should I do?

I took a sample of a nutritional cleanse that had cascara sagrada in it this morning. My daughter is 2. I quit breastfeeding a few months back but she is sick and I have gotten her to nap or sleep a few times by breastfeeding. Since I don't daily breastfeed any more I forgot I took the sample and let her breastfeed then remembered I took it. I think it is dangerous and definately not good for her. What should I do?

LittleAsmom605

Asked by LittleAsmom605 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• call the pediatrician and ask them. they might want you to bring her in espessially since shes already sick and you might not see and bad effects happening.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• call poison controll it could be fine or it may not be better safe than sorry
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 2:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would call poison control before panicking. I called them once when I thought my son had drank a whole bottle of childrens Tylenol, and they were great. Very knowledgable and calm about the whole thing.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You would have very little if any milk and you don't even know if the herb is dangerous or if it is excreted in milk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would wait and see. I'm sure it's fine, but you do what you think is right.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Doctors aren't trained in breastfeeding. There are no references for this type of situation for the poision control center to follow. If you feel you must call someone then La Leche League would be the one to call.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010