Formula... what has been your experience?

My twins are almost 3 months old. They have been on Similac Advance. I noticed that they were having a lot of gas and problem having a bowel movement. I tried Enfamil GentleEase for about 3 days, and the only difference I noticed was that their stools were looser and very frequent. What has been your experience with formula feeding? Any advice? I am out of the GentleEase, do I give them the Similac I have again or do I buy more of the GentleEase, or possibly a different formula? How often should they be having a bowel movement? Thanks for your time, answers, and suggestions.

JustMeTiff

Asked by JustMeTiff at 12:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• similac alimentium, it worked for my sons gas and also ready to feed actually worked the best for him, concentrate and powder made him fussy and gassy.
    kaymarie1473

Answer by kaymarie1473 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I always used simlac advance with iron with my son I have never had problems with it, but unfortunetly my experience doesnt count for everyone
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 12:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I use Similac Isomil Advance (soy). My son has always been a little gassy. I haven't had any problems but not every baby is the same. If the gentlease is working keep giving them that and also call your pediatrician to see what they think.
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 12:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Well I had used similac for my son...he did seem to get constipated and so I used the corn syrup and that didn't help.  My doc said I could give him apple juice water mix...and it worked.  so if you think the Enfamil is working I would just stick to it.  I would say that a few BMs a day is ok If its to loose and your getting diapers rashes than maybe I would do something else...but it will take more than 3 days for their bodies to get use to their new formula I would imagine.  Good luck!

Erika2408

Answer by Erika2408 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My son was very constipated with similac advanced. he was good with it till about 3 1/2 months. we switched him to the similac soy kind, and it iritated his skin so the doc said just to stay on the advanced, and if he looks like hes having a really hard time give him alittle prune juice. I wouldv'e tried differant kind but we got similac with WIC. the prune juice works really good and fast. That problem went away once we started him on foods and more juices, but talk with you doc and see what he says
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• For the gas, I would reccomend using Mylacon. My daughter is on Similac Advance too and when she was about three and four months she had an issue with gas and Mylacon worked great for her. I havn't yet had a problem with constipation though. My daughters normal was something like three or four poopy diapers a day, but sometimes when we would have an eventful day like going to someones house, going shopping and what not, she would (and still does) not have a BM for like a whole day. Then it takes her a few days of normal routine to go back to her "schedule"
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:58 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My daughter usually only goes once a day, first thing in the morning. Babies can really vary in the number of poopy diapers though.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:36 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Check with your pediatrician on this one. You don't want to keep switching formulas but I know sometimes it can take a few tries before you find the right one. Ask about using mylecon drops for gas. You put the drops in the bottle so they get it as they eat. They don't do any good if you give them after. Dr. Brown's bottles are great for avoiding gas because they have a straw in them that directs the formula in and air out.
    Sometimes adding an extra ounce of water to one bottle a day can help with constipation. A half tsp. Karo syrup can also help but you don't want to do either of these unless directed by your pediatrician.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:54 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Nestle GoodStart DHA/ARA- 24.99 a big can, good on bellies- they call it comfort protiens. My baby has acid reflux due to surgery at birth- this formula isnt as thick and harsh as Similac (gave my babe diarreah) or Enfamil (smelly, thick, gave my babe BAD gas). Normal poo is once a day, its ok if they dont have a BM for two days, any more than that you may want to consider pear juice, softer than prune juice mixed with equal amount water, that will help. Good luck.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 8:55 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Similac sensitive. It's especially for fussiness and gas, and worked wonders for my twins. One thing you don't want to do, tho, is to supplement one formula when you run out of the other. It will cause more problems if they are gassy or colicky.
    7mom1977

Answer by 7mom1977 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2008