When did your child start giving up naps?

Lately my two yr old (he is exactly 26 months old) has started to not want to nap. He gets really tired and cranky, and I lay him down like I normally do in the early afternoon, but he doesnt want to take his nap. He calls for me to take him out, and fights falling asleep. Is he getting too old for a nap maybe? One day recently, he didnt have his nap at all, and he was soo cranky the later it got at night it was amazing though. So I dont know. When did your child stop napping during the day?

dakajazz23

Asked by dakajazz23 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• keep laying him down. hes only 2, stick to your routine. my 4 year old still takes a nap probably 3-4 days a week. i think that 4-5 is a good time for the naps to stop. but he sounds like he definatly still needs one. a fight for an hour trying to get him to sleep is better than a fight for the rest of the day because he didnt.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• mine both gave up their naps at 2. It's a tough transition.......fell asleep right in their dinner plates a couple of times! But it is just another milestone. We switched to a quiet time where they had to play quietly in thier room or near me.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My 2.5 yo is starting to take naps maybe every 3rd day. If he's tired/cranky, I'll put him down - if he's in a good mood I'll keep him up.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Sounds like it's getting to the end. My oldest was 5! My younger 2 were both 2 when they stopped. It's hard adjusting at first.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My first born quit taking a nap at 18 months. At that point he would sleep 13-14 hours straight through the night. If your child is sleeping at least 12 hours at night, I wouldn't worry about it.

My other three, ages 3, almost 2, and 9 months all still take naps! One thing I would keep in mind is that he could be transitioning out of a nap. Keep putting him down. My kids have all transitioned to less naps. They would skip a nap for 2 or so days and then the next time need that extra nap. I would keep putting him down then allowing him to get up after about 30 minutes if he doesn't fall asleep. Some days he might still take that nap.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My daughter gave up the naps a few months before she turned 2. She will be 3 in about a month, and now only takes a nap if we are on a long trip somewhere in the car.

I MISS THE NAP DAYS!!!!

(The good thing about the lack of naps is that she goes down for bed around 8pm and is actually too tired to fight me on it, and she seep until 7am the next morning.)
    misskrissie

Answer by misskrissie at 2:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I really think all kids are different when it comes to sleep habits, so trust your own instincts. My son is 19 months and is still often taking 2 naps per day. I know most kids his age are only down to one. I don't really care what other kids do - if my son needs a nap, he gets one, and if not, then I don't press it.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• my 3 and half year old still takes naps or takes them way too late in the day.
    mareye33

Answer by mareye33 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• my son is transitioning right now.. started at 2-1/2 :(
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• 2 years old

boy, do i miss those naps!!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2010