What can I do for this cold??

My twins are almost 3 months old. They have the runny nose, and a pretty bad cough, but not constant. Their fever isn't going over 100.0. What can I do to help them get better? I know they are still young for the cold medications, any suggestions?

JustMeTiff

Asked by JustMeTiff at 12:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cold medicines only help relieve symptoms, they don't actually help the healing process. If you breast feed, that should help. If their noses are stuffy, you can put a drop of breastmilk in there, and it will help. You could also try taking extra vitamin c, and it will pass through your breast milk.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 12:23 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Not much other than aspirating their noses and spending some time in a steamy bathroom. We also sometimes elevated their crib mattresses a bit by putting a couple books under one end. A room humidifier in the bedroom also helps. Tylenol helped with their discomfort and achiness a bit. If they're old enough, what about giving them some watered down juice to help keep them very hydrated but also help with the possible constipation you mentioned in your other question? So sorry to hear that they're sick. Listen to make sure that their coughs don't become wheezy at all. My twins contracted RSV when they were almost 3 months and it was awful, wheezing and problems breathing. Poor babies and poor you. I hope they are feeling better soon.
    jennymoon4

Answer by jennymoon4 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I've ahd my boy who's 6 months in to the doctor this past week for the same cold. :( The coughing is so sad, isn't it?

She said basically to do nothing. Keep the humidifier on when they're in their room and use saline only nose drops to keep the mucus running and not hard and painful. You can suction it out if it's clogging up on them.

And if you're breastfeeding, do what good MommaL recommends. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• this durn weather... hope they feel better!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:30 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Vaporizer with vapo in it,the steam will help the babies get the mucus out of their chest....yes focus on that,too much mucus on a babies lungs can seriously cause a high fever and can be deadly. Don't want to scare you,I am sorry just please make it more easier for them to breath. There little immune systems can be strengthened with breast milk. if you do breast feed strenghthen yours by supplements like vitamin C. Oh and another thing they are 3 months keep their heads covered.
    Hope your babies are better soon and don't forget to say your prayers,Good luck and God bless you!
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 3:13 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• First, do not give them any cold medication at all. You can use infant motrin or tylenol for the fever but do so under the direction of your pediatrician. Use your bulb syringe to help clear the mucous. Check with the pedi but I think you can also use saline nasal spray: just a drop in each nostril before you use the bulb syringe. Running a hot, steamy shower and bringing them into the bathroom will help with congestion. Pat their backs while they're in there to help loosen any mucous and help with the cough. Rub a tiny bit of baby vicks on their feet only at night to help them sleep. Hang in there mama!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2008