I need some really quick answers! Urgent!

Okay so basically there might be a chance that I am pregnant. Today I just found out that I have to have bridge work done and veneers. I wont have to be put to sleep or anything. But it has to sleep be done before November 9th because thats when my insurance ends. I have been told that if I am pregnant that it wont hurt anything since they are just giving me numbing stuff. Anyone know if thats true? Any advice on it? Thanks

Marah2008

Asked by Marah2008 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• The best time (lowest risk) for dental work is 2nd trimester. Speak with your doctor and your dentist about it. I had to have a crown done and my dentist wouldn't touch me until my 2nd trimester. Whenever you have it done, it is VERY IMPORTANT that your dentist know you're pregnant, because they have to use a different kind of novicaine. Most novicaine contains epinephrine, and that would be very dangerous to give a pregnant woman. But if they know you're pregnant, they can give you epinephrine-free novicaine. It works just as well, it just doesn't last as long so they have to keep on topping you off. I think I had a dozen shots for my crown, bubt after the first one I didn't feel them.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Check with your dentist they will know for sure if it's harmful to the baby. I am not sure but I don't think it's the putting you to sleep that is the issue. Something with possible infection getting into your blood stream through your gums. Not sure on that as I read something some where but can't remember the specifics. Try googling why is dental work dangerous for pregnant women.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Check with your OB and dentist.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• as long as they are not putting u to sleep, or ur not taking painkillers afterward i think its fine but u should ask ur dentist and ur doctor. i went in to get my wisdom teeth pulled cuz my insurance was ending, but it was like the day that i found out i was pregnant, and they wouldn't do it... so i have to wait until after the baby is here and im not breastfeeding and pay for it myself... its not worth the risk to the baby
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I agree- ask both the dentist and your OB! And then, make sure you are not taking any medication...
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Well, first, make sure that you actually are pregnant because you don't want to tell them you are, not have the dental work and then find out you aren't! If you are, then, yeah make sure you tell them but if they're using local anesthesia, you should be fine.

beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 10, 2008