sleeping through the night.... AHHHHHH!

Hi everyone! My baby is almost 6 months old and she was doing really well at night most nights, but she still does not sleep through the night on a regular basis. We've tried putting her to bed earlier, later, waking her up from an early evening nap, more ounces of formula right before bed, more formula throughout the day, swaddling, not swaddling, white noise, music, giving her a bottle in the middle of the night & not.... ha ha ha! We've tried everything it seems like. Does anyone else have a baby around 6 mos that isn't sleeping through the night? I know some experts say once they go so many hrs w/ out a bottle, they can do it, so don't feed them in the middle of the night. Well, my little girl SCREAMS bloody murder & guzzles it down within 5-10 min,so she's obviously hungry!

TP1283

Asked by TP1283 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dude.. my son is turning 3 in NOV and he still doesn't always sleep through the night - just keep on going mommy.. it gets easier and eventually you will get used to waking up so often :) My son stopped needing the bottle in the middle of the night about 8 months. Just listen to your baby and things will be ok...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My son did that, too, only he nursed. However, he was actually not hungry. He just "needed" that food as a comfort to get him back to sleep. Finally at 6 months I had had enough. We did CIO. One night and it was pure hell. The nights after that were just fine and he slept through ever since.

Try just giving her a bottle of water instead of formula. You will quickly learn that she isn't actually thirsty or hungry...she just wants that routine of having milk to get back to sleep.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Some kiddos arent ready till well after a year. Nothing you can do will change this. My friends daughter is 12 months and usually gets up twice for a cup of something.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• my son is 8 months and right around 6 months he also stopped sleeping through the night. I was so spoiled but now ugh... So, since he refuses to stay up late anymore (he like to go to bed around 7:30 or 8:00) I give him a bath, massage him with lavender lostion, feed him a serving of rice serving mixed with puree. Then a four oz. bottle after. He sleeps from 7:30 p.m to roughly 5a.m then i change him only using the night light/ then i make him a six oz. bottle and he almost always goes back to sleep and sleeps till 8 sometimes later.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• She's behaving normally! The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch. If you put the crib in you room or sidecar it you will hve an easier time night parenting. FYI 5 hours is considered a "sleep through"
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• my daughter is 6 months old and does the same thing!!! its crazy! i cant figure it out! and the crazy thing is that she used to sleep all night and ever since she got her two bottom teeth she wont sleep all night she gets up at least 3 times. and yeah the whole trying not to give her the bottle ha ha! yeah right! sorry im no help! my daughter sleeps with music and a fan on in her room just to cover up the other noise in the house. let me know if u get something that works! good luck! my mom said my brother and i didnt sleep all night until i was 2! lord help me if it takes that long i miss my sleep!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Most babies DON"T sleep more than a few hours at a time. Dusk to dawn? Heh heh...maybe sometime next year. Five hours is sleeping through the night. And even when she does, YOU will not. It's always something from here on out!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2010