21 mom of 1 and confused with life

im 21 years old and i have a 1 year old daughter. i took a year and a half of classes before i was pregnant but i was an athlete and just go by with grades. now i am living at hme and applied somewhere but didnt get in bc of my grades. i am discouraged. i want to make my parents and my daughter proud. i will probably cont. classes at a community college for now, but i dont even know what i am interested n. dont have a passion it used to be sports but now i am confused wth life. i dnt know who i am anymore and i dont want to just take classes unless its something towards my major. i dnt have many friends, only 1 good friend whos in college so i dnt see her often. i try to take time out for myself but i feel guilty. my bf/babys father lives 7 hrs away. i feel lost and i just want to get my education to support my daughter without help from my parents. i live with them, but feel stuck. any input would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• * hugs mommy * I am sorry you are lost- wishing you luck to help you find your way !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• big hugs! Apply to some other schools. Many people go to college thinking they have a passion and then change their majors half way through.

Think of something you enjoy. You said you were an athlete. What about being a PE teacher? A physical therapist? What about coaching your favorite sport to children, or even older athletes?
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• So, you say you were an athlete. Well that's a start. Why not use that as a starting point, if you are indeed interested in something on that topic. Run through the list of courses offered by the colleges to get some idea of what might make you feel interested enough to spend the time pursuing a given career. Right now you are researching your interests. Something might strike your interest just by browsing.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• is there ANYTHING you are interested in that you could find a major for? Like cosmetology or EMT or physical therapy or anything like that? I know many junior/community colleges offer certificate or shorter degree programs that might be easier for you to complete. Since you were very into sports why not look into being a physical therapist or a personal trainer? or even a sportscaster? good luck, i know how it feels to be a young mom and feeling like you don't know where your life is going :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Don't feel discouraged, its hard esp at 21....I had 2 by your age so I know how you feel...I personally went to technical schools...there is a big difference there between college and tech schools but you still get great jobs with a cert from a tech school. There are all kinds that offer all sorts of classes and some even have daycare. Its alright to be confused, and I think you have the right state of mind in the thinking that its pointless to go to school for nothing. Then its just like what are you paying for? Life ain't easy, and having kids on top of it doesn't make it any easier. Living at home and not having your bf there makes it that much harder, but atleast you have this where other moms have been in your shoes and you can talk and we understand. Please take comfort in that if in nothing else ;-)
    where about are you from?
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yea true if you were an athlete why not go into Physical Therapy or Sports Medicine? They are both good fields.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Have you done any of the career counseling inventories to focus in on what might be a good career for you? Your career counseling office should have information on these and I do not think there is a fee. There might even be some online. You can also look into what jobs are projected to be needed in the future. Google "jobs outlook" and also look at this website. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link you...........will have to cut and paste.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/

You could do sports medicine maybe and work with sports teams. I have heard there will be a good demand for that type of job. Just one idea. Good luck. Look into all possibilities (and aid too - go to financial aid office for help) You can do this!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• MORE..........I was thinking of the career counseling office at the community college you mentioned.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• go to community college and try for MOA, theres almost always something for that position. and if you dont want to do that you should try and try doing a gym teacher or a coach, since you had an interest in sports before you could educate other kids about sports and how to stay healthy. only thing is that you would have to go to school everyday still lol.
    DARKxXxangel

Answer by DARKxXxangel at 3:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• sorry.make some new friends.get interested in sports again and just do some thinking and try to figure out what u want.take classes and dont give up on your education.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010