Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Mold in Rented Apartment (bathroom ceiling). Can this affect my health and my children's health?

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • Yes mould can release spores which can make you or your children ill when inhaled, can cause respiratory problems and stuff =/ Like everyone else said, go to your landlord ASAP.
    SarahBel

    Answer by SarahBel at 5:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Yes, you need to notify your landloard asap.
    JessieK79

    Answer by JessieK79 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • YES.............get in touch with the landlord ASAP and the board of health if he doesn't do anything. GL
    elizabr

    Answer by elizabr at 3:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Absolutely. I just got out of a house with a horrible black mold infestation in the bathroom. We all got very sick and DD got pneumonia. There are lanlord-tenant laws and health codes that protect you in situations like this. Look them up online for what applies to your state.
    Mold can cause symptoms much like allergies- sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, red eyes, itching. It can also cause nausea and headaches. In bad cases, it causes memory loss, bleeding of the lungs, and mold spores in your bloodstream that could lead to death.
    It is important that this get fixed right away. And please, learn from my mistake- document everything. Take pictures, write emails and letters as well as place phone calls until the issue is completely resolved.
    serioussifL

    Answer by serioussifL at 3:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Yes, I actually had the same problem in my bedroom, and all over near the windows. I took some disinfectent and scrubbed it all off, and it's fine now, and with my new born it was fine! however if its really bad, and soft and smells and all that, it's not good. I used to live in a home with moldy walls and stuff and I would get sick soo much! so I can be a very harmful issue.
    JanetCG

    Answer by JanetCG at 3:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Yes let them know so they can get it taken care of before it gets worse.
    mamaofficer

    Answer by mamaofficer at 3:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Take pictures if the landlord does nothing or denies it call the board of health. They will be fined and have to clean it up...it can cause all sorts of health problems....breathing mostly.....but its still an issue
    HTMommy

    Answer by HTMommy at 3:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • yes we had a house and were wondering why me and the girls were always ill , found out there was mold. when we moved due to loss of income our health actually improved
    sherryb1273

    Answer by sherryb1273 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • If you clean it yourself wear a mask and gloves. Be careful.
    elizabr

    Answer by elizabr at 3:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Yes!!!!!!!! They need to get you in a new apartment asap.
    MsHouseWife

    Answer by MsHouseWife at 3:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN