I know this is an uncommon thing for mothers *sarcasm*

But do you have a harder time taking care of yourself when you're stressed? I do things around the house, and make sure the kids are taken care of, but when it comes to me, things just seem like a big task and I don't feel like doing it lol.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 3:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, I have been neglecting myself the past year and I'm trying to change it. I'm ashamed of it becuase I've gained a lot of weight.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes, my brain feels very scattered when I'm stressed out or upset over a situation, so it's hard for me to focus on each task that needs to be accomplished. I'm much more productive when I feel well, but I imagine that's almost universal among the human race, lol.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I was just talking to my husband about that last night. I almost never make time for myself. There are times when i dont even get a shower till around 6 p.m. same with eating
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes. It has happened to me plenty of times. You spend all your energy on your family and then when it comes to something you need to do for you it sits on the back burner till you can find the time or energy to get to it.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Oh, and as far as taking care of myself when I'm stressed--it's much more difficult, but I force myself to do it. I know I'll just feel worse if I don't, IE feeling guilty if I don't exercise. I make myself do at least the fundamentals of self-care--sleep, eat, exercise, shower. I may skip out on some of the extras though.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I do not know how to take care of "me" and it is all about everyone else..my husband can take off for the weekend claiming to have worked hard and deserving it....yet he is done at 5 pm and he gets overwhelmed with just 2 hours alone with his son...but i'm supposed to be happy 24/7 and no complaining..
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes, I don't care about myself when I am stressed. I get depressed easily and don't take care of myself.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Me too.But mine is called depression.I try to get out of the house when the sun is shining because the sun is good at giving you vitamin D,which is good for your depression.If you think you might be depressed ,there is a web site you can go on that will help you.Sorry I don't know what site it is but you can also talk to your DR. and then go from there.Good luck.Hopethis helped you.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 3:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i can't explain how or why, but becoming a mother hasn't diminished who i am or how i feel about myself. motherhood is a new facet of my personality, not a black hole that breaks apart who i used to be until i'm completely dead inside. i have an enormous amount of confidence in who i am, the people i allow into my life, and the choices i have made. a byproduct of that is that i rarely feel stressed. i don't know if that answers your question.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Totally not uncommon.. even when I am not depressed I have a hard time caring about my looks or apperance.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2010