my 5 years old is TV addict?

I let her to see it about an hour or so daily, but we have struggles in the morning and evening because either I do not open TV or close it... ;-( what would u do?

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• don't turn the tv on at all, you are the adult
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• ha-ha,,,(sad laugh) she turns it by herself and keep annoying me until I open it...i don't know... i am weak...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Your question is really unclear the way you word it. A child doesn't get addicted to TV by watching it controled for only an hour a day. If your 5 year old is hooked to TV then you've let her watch way too much TV. Like peanutsmommy1 said, you're the adult. Turn the TV off if she's watching too much. There should be no "struggle" at all. If she's not behaving, don't let her watch TV at all. When she is behaving, limit her TV time. Stay in control and don't let a 5 year old dictate how you run your household.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Do what we did unplug the cable and tell her it is broken. Our cable really was broken but we didn't bother fixing it. No t.v. for about 4 weeks and although it was an adjustment every one is alive and fine.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Unplug it, or take it away
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• what do you mean "open it"?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• She will continue to "annoy" you as long as you let her annoying you work for her. This is about more than the TV. If you teach her that whining and begging gets her way you will have all sorts of problems with her.

You cannot be weak and be a good parent.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If she's using a remote to turn it on, put the remote up where she can't reach it. Limit her time further from an hour to 30 minutes IF she's good.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• yes, i guess... but when in the morning I late to job.. it is easier to get dress the child who watches TV, then screaming, yelling and crying child....when I have very little time, it feels badly out of control ;-(.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• unplug it, get her involved in other activities

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010