1st grade room mom.

My sons class is in need of one and I just volunteered to do it if no one else came up. What exactly does this person do? I mean what have I possibly gotten myself into...

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in

• Room mom here organizes the parties, teacher's birthday, helps on field trips and any other special things the class does. She may not necessarily volunteer IN the classroom for shuffling papers and what not, but she's there A LOT. Here, it is OK for her to bring her little one as long as she can still fulfill her room mom responsibilities.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• When I was in school, the room mom was the one who organized parties and did anything else the teacher may ask of them. I don't know if it's the same now.
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My daughter's first grade school mom calls the parents and notifies them of meetings and things like that. They also help with specific activities that the class is participating in such as field trips.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I was room mom last year for kindergarten. I planned a party and volunteered when one was necessary. There were 5 of us total for his class.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• SO far this doesn't sound horrible. lol. I work part time and have a toddler so I was a little worried. I don't know if I could help with every field trip but I could sure line up some volunteers!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I always helped plan parties, and usually was there to set up the room for the parties. Sent messages home to the parents asking for them to bring things in for the parties. Also, odds & ends the teacher might ask me to do, but not too much else.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Enjoy! You'll be doing parties and making copies, and helping out any other way you can.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:32 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• we have to be "room mom' for K3 and K4 around here, or you PAY more for your child's schooling...
    anyhow, you just are the helper of the day, on fieldtrips, days that they have certain activities, etc... around here it's really not a huge deal... i can even bring my youngest (who will be 2 in October) with...
    asil

Answer by asil at 4:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Here is a great Room Mom guide that has tips for communicating with parents, party ideas, teacher meeting checklist and sample letters. VolunteerSpot is also a great online Room Mom Tool for parent volunteer online sign ups and sign up sheets for class parties.

http://www.volunteerspot.com/ebooks
    margaret1101

Answer by margaret1101 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010