Concern with preschool class?

First, some vital info: my daughter is in a mixed preschool class meaning there are children with IEP's in there as well as some Peer Model students that don't have any documented disabilities.

The first week of school, my daughter was bitten by one of the other children who is new to school this year. The teacher (whom Hayley is spending her third year with and I adore) was more upset than I was about it and said they've been trying to get another adult to be in the class full-time with this other child. Well, we're 2 weeks into school now, and my daughter has come home and told me about this child biting 3 other kids now, making it a grand total of 4 kids that he's bitten in 2 weeks.

My question is this: should I talk to the teacher and find out if there is some way I can help them get an adult quicker for this child or just leave it alone? I'm concerned she'll get bitten again!

musicalbabe85

Asked by musicalbabe85 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Talk to the head of the child study team who would be responsible for this program. It should be her responsibility to ensure the safety of your child and appropriate supervision for kids with IEPs. At a minimum, she should be able to provide details on the plan to add another adult to the classroom. Make sure that they're activity looking not stuck trying to get budget approval. The teacher is limited in her control over this process but the head of the program shouldn't be. Worst case, find out who she works for (eiher a principal or the superintendant and go there). Be polite but strong in pushing for their plan to address the problem.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• public or private prescool?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Public
    musicalbabe85

Comment by musicalbabe85 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Frankly... i would get my daughter out if it would happen again and teachers do nothing (beyond being upset)....
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• the district should be providing a parapro for a mainstream classroom!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Well, sadly biting does happen at many preschools, private or public and kids of all abilities will bite. I would talk to the director and see what they can do to help this child...be it another instructor, talks with the child's parents, etc. It sounds like the biter might be one with a disability, so hopefully they know how to work with this child and figure out ways to curb the biting.

I would wait to see how they react to the problem and go from there. If your gut says to leave, you can. Keep in mind that will be a hard transition on your daugther, thoguh. Many schools have a policy with their biters and if they dont stop biting, they get kicked out. It sounds like this child just needs the extra attention of a parapro though. Hopefully they have the funding to be able to hire another person!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't want to leave. My daughter has a speech disability and has just blossomed in the past 2 years that she's been with these teachers. The teacher is absolutely wonderful, and growing up with a mentally handicapped brother, I know that a lot of stuff goes on "behind the scenes" that parents may not know about. So I'm thinking about talking with the teacher and finding out if there is someway I can help her get was the class needs or whatnot. And I know sometimes it takes a parents expressing concern before a school district may take something seriously.
    musicalbabe85

Comment by musicalbabe85 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Talk to the teacher. Tell her your concerns. If enough parents complain about the biter, the school will have to do something about the child.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If talking to the teacher doesn't seem to be getting any quick results I'd go to a higher authority within the preschool. If nothing appears to be happening either keep trying or ask the parents of other affected children to also mention it. I wouldn't move her if you love the preschool and the teacher, especially if she is settled. Sometimes simply reminding them repeatedly will encourage them to get the ball rolling quicker! ;)
    SarahBel

Answer by SarahBel at 4:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2010