Breast Feeding Question

My daughter is 1 week old today! She usually will only feed for about 8 minutes than get off, I burp her, change her, etc, then she wants more. Should I be putting her back on the one she ate only 8 min. on or the other side? Thxs!

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 3:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• other side! so 8min on the right and then 8 on the left!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I'd put her on the other side in that situation. I didn't feed that way. I've had 3 BF babies and I fed and entire feeding on one side, but then my kids ate about 20 min straight and then were done. It just really depends. If that one side still feels quite full after the 8 min feeding, then stick to just that one side. If it feels like it's nearly emptied, then switch sides. Be sure if you feed off of both sides each feeding that each time you start on the opposite breast than you started before.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If she came off on her own, then switch her. You're doing GREAT!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I usually would put my kids back on the same side - then start with the other side at the next feeding. Try putting a safety pin in your bra strap on the side that she nursed on last, so you don't get lopsided. :) Once she's older she'll be able to drain both sides completely! Congrats on your new addition!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Do what comes naturally to you and her. Don't time her feedings. Continue with what you're doing if it works... only reason to change would be a lack of weight gain (less than 4oz a week), or if you seem to have an overactive letdown (gassy baby, gasping at letdown, choking on flow, etc...). There's no "right " and "wrong"... just what works for you and what doesn't.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Offer one breast. When she comes off, offer the other. When she comes off again, offer first one again. And so on, until she refuses.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• When my kids were very very little, I would just give them the boob that felt more full. When they got older, they would choose which boob they wanted. If they pull off one boob you give them, but still act like they are hungry, just offer them the other one. Btw, awesome that you chose to breastfeed! Cheers!
    emeraldearth24

Answer by emeraldearth24 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010