Have you heard about a new Christianity called "moralistic therapeutic deism?"

Translation: It's a watered-down faith that portrays God as a "divine therapist" whose chief goal is to boost people's self-esteem.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Wow. that's pretty much all I can say.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• just read about that on cnn.com I believe. It said that younger adults/teenagers are in this group
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 3:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I've never head an actual label put to it, but I'd say that if you walk into a Christian bookstore, you're more likely to find books along these lines rather than focusing on the message of the Gospel which Christ preached (Repentance). I think this also follows in line with another false teaching ... the prosperity doctrine (or prosperity Gospel). Joel Osteen is a huge promoter of this doctrine.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I've never heard the title but I am familiar with the "signs". I have seen it reflected in attitudes.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• oh goodie...a new brand of Christianity..how fun... When can we stop labeling these types of things Christian and start labeling it as what it really is?....UnBiblical, false teaching and heresy!

eye rolling

missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 4:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I hadn't but it seems to me that new religions crop up everywhere...I'm thinking maybe I should just start my own, rumor has it there is a lot of money in it. All you have to do is say God talked to you and this is his word and when die you get some bonus treasure...I mean make up what ever you want and sell it...someone is willing to buy it. BTW I'm not religious in any way and not trying to be offensive but seriously this drives me crazy - people making money on other people's faith and beliefs...its attrocious and certainly not what God or Jesus would have intended.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• UnBiblical, false teaching and heresy!

-----------------------------------

And yet closer to what Jesus actually stood for... :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• ObbyDobbie ... No it's not. It's no where near what Christ stood for.

eye rolling

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Can't say that I had heard of this until your question. Yet another attempt to exempt ourselves from doing His will or recognizing and worshipping Him as the divine creator and author and finisher of salvation. When did it become all about what God is supposed to do for us and never about what we're supposed to do for Him?
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• When did it become all about what God is supposed to do for us and never about what we're supposed to do for Him?

Approximately 4000-6000 years ago in a beautiful garden, with a serpent and certain tree.

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010