Nap times have become scream fests

I've pretty much stopped breast feeding my 15 month old DD because I'm not producing any milk. But now, she throws a fit everytime I try making her go to sleep. I have to wrap her up in a blanket and walk around for a good while before she stops crying, and then she'll fall asleep. I've let her cry herself to sleep in her crib, but I don't like doing that too often because she seems to think it's punishment. I need advice!

KricketMother09

Asked by KricketMother09 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have a routine? Sometimes its easier for little ones to fall asleep when their naptime/bedtime has some sort of routine. Like reading a story or singing a lullaby... *hugs!*
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Just try to make it as soothing as possible, but don't give in! If you start to give in now it won't ever stop, lol. I learned that the hard way!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Me too, my oldest had the hardest time because I let her pretty much go to bed when we did and take a nap when she felt like it. Try setting a routine and stay consistent. Hope that works.
    MsAzucar

Answer by MsAzucar at 6:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• The only suggestion I have is to work on soothing her in her room and gradually backing off. Mine was younger than yours at the time but he went through a period, after having been sick, that he needed me to fall asleep. I put a rocking chair in his room. After doing our normal routine we would rock and I'd lay him down. If he cried I rubbed his back and maybe hummed softy. If he got quiet I would slowly move my hand. If he cried again, I put it back. Every few days it changed.. next step was having my hand on him through the crib railing, which turned into me laying next to the crib and only putting my hand in if he fussed. No talking, just touch. Basically every few days I was less involved but he knew if he needed me I'd be there. Sometimes, all they need is reassurance that mama will be there. Eventually I was able to just lay him down and walk off without any fuss. The whole process took maybe 2 or 3 weeks.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010