Do you believe in relativism?

The belief that truth is relative/subjective? Or do you believe that truth is absolute/objective?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I believe that there is an absolute truth - God either exists or He doesn't, for example - but I don't believe that anyone is wrong. I believe God transcends truth, in a way... If God Himself is truth, He's not really bound by any of our truths, but instead He is found within them. Each of our truths, I believe, holds a piece of THE truth, and we're all right, in our different ways and understandings in terms of what's valid.

I don't believe that adhering to "the" absolute truth (are the streets in heaven really paved with gold? those type issues) is what matters. I believe God ares more about us finding Him through our truths, and coming to His ultimate truth : we are to love one another and to work towards becoming our fully realized selves - towards the cultivation of our humanity in terms of virtues or fruits of the spirit - the examples of which can be found in people like Jesus.

Haha, its not coming out right...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• "Truth" by definition is absolute.

This is the reason I simply can not bring myself to believe in your deity.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Depends on how you're defining truth, now doesn't it? If you mean truth as it represents fact, no, it's not. If you mean truth as it represents faith or belief, it can only be relative.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Both. There are absolutes like I am alive. But there are relative truths like is the sky blue or green (because it can appear different to different people).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:48 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Truth exists with or without our knowledge of it

No, it doesn't, because not everything exists in a true/false state. If it did, computers could run everything. And whether you like it or not,

Faith: (1) firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faith?show=0&t=1283010304

Now we can move on to the definition of theory, which you are also misusing, but the point doesn't change. There is not always an absolute truth, not even an unknown absolute truth.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:46 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• And aside from that .... the topic up for discussion, isn't about faith ... it's about truth and the reality of it.

And there is more than one meaning of truth. If this is too complicated for you we can drop it, but you cannot have an absolute truth to every question.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Everyone has his/her own truth...
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• bandgeek521 .... Curious ... if no one can be wrong, then how do you reconcile your position with the following: John 4:23 (John 4) But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. AND John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Also ... if you believe in absolute truth, then why do you say that "God is not bound by our truths?" This is implies that you believe in relativism and that truth is subjective.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• PS ... I really do believe the streets in heaven are paved in gold. Why wouldn't they be?
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Haha, give me a minute to get my kiddo a plate to eat and I'll respond, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010