Do you have a garage?

If not you might want to look into one.

According to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, police officers can place a GPS device on a car parked in a driveway on private property, without a warrant .
“[Juan] Pineda-Moreno cannot show that the [DEA] agents invaded an area in which he possessed a reasonable expectation of privacy when they walked up his driveway Because the agents did not and attached the tracking device to his vehicle. invade such an area, they conducted no search, and Pineda-Moreno can assert no Fourth Amendment violation.”

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/27/oregon.gps.surveillance/index.html

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Crissy, your link is a different one than the article the other day. I think the particular subject they were tailing was only suspected of growing weed, there was no warrant. There are a lot of reasons this is wrong. The first of which is that they don't necessarily need to have probable cause. We have laws for a reason. Not to even mention the waste this can create when there isn't enough evidence to get a warrant, there are plenty of other cases that do. Why not focus on the ones that you have any chance in hell in actually solving rather than a wild goose chase? Sure, the person being watched 'might' do something worth arrest, but it is also just as likely that they won't. Waste of money, time and resources.

Oh, and lets not even start on other methods of law enforcement being able to track you.  I guess those would require warrants though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Wow.......man, protesting wiretapping was SO last admin ;)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• This was posted the other day and as I recall, the article I read (I think originally posted by sweet-a-kins) even stated that this does not effect those that are wealthy enough to have a gate on their driveway.

A warrant should be required for something like this. If it's perfectly legal, what's to stop criminals from turning the tables and being able to hunt down agents the same way?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We discussed this at length the other day. I pointed out that if that is their attitude then they should have no expectation that I would not shoot them for trespassing on my personal property and touching my personal property. 

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Oh no, it's a conspiracy, lol! Sorry.. I just had to.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes, we do and we use it. No one getting in my car without me knowing it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• This is exactly what I need -- more incentive to get my garage cleaned out so that we can park the cars in there where they belong. I hate having the cars on the drive.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Crissy, would you turn him in if you knew where he was? I think I would, after all that, having my life invaded because of him, father or not.

Yes, we do have a garage. However, we can barely walk in the damn thing let alone park in it. Hubby has too many tools, car parts... in there. We need that 4 car garage. But, sigh, that would be full, too. And not of the cars. Again, sigh...

I do agree, if someone is a known drug dealer, smuggler, drug-whatever, they should be tailed. Innocent bystanders in it, no. But how to figure that out? I guess once they tail those innocent bystanders enough to figure that out, leave them the hell alone.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Well, if they want to use a GPS to track my minivan as it tootles from my house, to daycare, to work, back to daycare, back to our house, and to the grocery store on the weekends, GO RIGHT AHEAD!!!
    Who cares, the only people who should be worried about this law, are drug dealers. Seriously. If DEA has you on radar for whatever reason, you deserve to get watched like a hawk.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Well, I remember when you could shoot someone breaking into your car in your drive way. And it was your right.... so I personally would pull on a guy snooping around my car in the wee hours of the night.... I just see this going wrong on so many levels.
    Crissy1213

Comment by Crissy1213 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010