what to feed a one year old when out of baby cereal?

We're getting really low on DD's cereal, and DH's payday is still a week away. She doesn't take formula, it gives her really bad gas. Is there adult food that is still healthy and filling for a child that young?

KricketMother09

Asked by KricketMother09 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I give my 10 month old whatever we eat for dinner.. just in smaller bites.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• a one year old can already eat almost anything u eat
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• At a year old, you can definitely feed whatever you're eating, cut to sizes she can handle. And adult cereal too.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Both my kids started getting table food as soon as they could chew. Both stopped eating baby food at 9-10 months. As long as it's soft, small chunks, I'm sure your LO will be just fine.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Mine ate real food at one. Like chicken and sweet potato and burgers...if I ate it, he ate it. And he wasn't eating baby cereal, he ate Malt o meal and oatmeal and cream of wheat. He ate all this from about 7 or 8 months old.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I used to take regulare oatmeal and grind it up thinner in a food processor for my son :) but at one there are lots of things they can eat
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i give my daughter anything we eat... she's 1 and she'll eat anything... my daughter just ate a grilled chesse for the 1st time today...she ate it up!!
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I was thinking that she still had to be on baby cereal made for babies, so I was feeling guilty about giving her adult food. But now that I know different it'll be easier, THANKS everyone :)
    KricketMother09

Comment by KricketMother09 (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have 3 children and a grandchild and have never fed any of them baby cereal or formula. There is never any need for baby cereal even for a baby. After age one a toddler can eat (adult) food. Whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice, and whole grain cereals are great. My 1 yo grandson likes all of these. After a year toddlers can eat any food. You want to feed healthy foods that aren't choking hazards. The AAP recommends a max of 4 oz juice a day in an open cup (not a bottle or sippy). Toddlers should drink water. There is no need for drinking milk. They can have 2 toddler size servings milk products a day if you choose to do any milk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• absolutely - i still do give my 14 month old some baby cereal for the iron content, but he's eaten eggs, pancakes, french toast - he had a waffle this morning :)
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2010