DD is stuck on sugar

I know, it's my fault that she's into sugar because I gave it to her. But now I'm trying to make her cut back. I'm trying to find healthy sweet substitutes for children. Just so she doesn't realize that she's not getting other things. Any suggestions?

KricketMother09

Asked by KricketMother09 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Remove ALL sweets from the house (drinks included), and provide an assortment of fresh fruit.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Fruit is natural sugar. Carrots, sweet potatoes and sweet corn are pretty yummy too. Add a little cinnamon for a really good snack.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You don't need to substitute. Just get rid of sugar. Fruit sugar is sugar to the body and you want to avoid all juice and not feed too much fruits. It can take a month of being off of sugar to "withdraw".  Kids should only drink water, no artificial sweeteners.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Fruit .. especially this time of year ... bananas, cantaloupe, grapes, apples, watermelon ... there are lots of choices!

There are sugar-free candies too, but I'm not always comfortable with the sugar-substitutes used.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Cut back gradually to a place that you feel good about. A sweet here and there does no harm. Try sweet fruits like watermelon and grapes in place of sugary snacks like cookies or fruit snacks as your main source of snacks and have sweets here and there. We eat just about everything- Sunday night is ice cream night at our house- we eat a huge bowl each and then the carton is GONE and we don't have any until the next Sunday. We have a sweet snack a few days a week and everyone lives to tell about it ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I prefer the benefits of real fruits and the natural sugars they contain.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 5:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• AGAIN, Gaill is only partially right.

Sugar is NOT sugar, regardless of the source. Juice is empty calories no matter how you look at it, but fruit is not. Nor are fruit sugars broken down or stored by the body in the same ways as refined sugars... Kids should NOT have their *fresh* fruit intake limited.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Fruit is good. Don't limit it. That's just stupid. Yes, you get natural sugars, but you also get all kinds of good vitamins, fiber, etc.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 12:37 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Fresh fruit, dried fruit, frozen fruit are all great options! Plus you can make drinks (smoothies, shakes, etc.) from them, you can eat them plain, or you can bake something with them!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:12 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I agree get rid of it all from the house. If you need to eat it yourself then hide it in a real good spot and eat it when she is in bed. If there is no sugar/sweets then you can't offer them to her and she won't keep asking.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2010