If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...why is it irritating?

Everyone loves a compliment...but why is it annoying when others copy your style? Why do you think or not think so?

Cochise

Asked by Cochise at 4:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I don't mind it, I do find it flattering.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• well i guess because someone may think you're the copycat eventhough you were the one to think of it in the first place lol. but nobody ever copys me :( lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• because we like to stand out from the crowd! we like the spotlight! we all want to be prom queen!

i often wondered this in my business-when 'the rachel' was on everyone's head (or some attempted/failed ''facsimile'' of it), i felt like i was doing the same exact cut, taking the same slices, using the same movements, blowdrying/straightening the same way to everyone, yet someone always wore it better, and complained that a co-worked/friend/whoever wanted the exact same style as she.
    someone is always on top, and everyone else wants to be that person.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• How do you know they are copying your style? Maybe they already liked it to begin with. Just because someone likes something you wear, or a certain style you like, does not mean they are copying you. They have a right to wear whatever they want if they like it. The only time things like this bothered me was in high school, when everyone was trying to be cooler than each other. But i grew up & i now find it flattering. I like being able to encourage someone's style, it means i have good taste.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My DD has a neighbor that does almost everything she does in decorating her front yard. It seemed to annoy her, but I said to her, "Just look at it as, she doesn't know how to decorate and you do, so she copies from you." So she thought about it and decided maybe that's right, and now just takes it as a compliment.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Not talking about clothes here....samurai... ..I am talking about creative things... and I know its a copy because it happens over and over again.
    Cochise

Comment by Cochise (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• because some of us pride our selves on being individuals and standing out from the crowd
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Because only those who can't think for themselves copy... And only those who copy seem to think it's flattery to copy others... Those of us who prefer to think for ourselves and make our own way, simply see it as the easy way out.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I dont to much mind so long as they arent trying to single white female me.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 3:07 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I dont take it as flattery I think it's just annoying
    BkMommy2be

Answer by BkMommy2be at 9:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2010